Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greenhouses and renewables!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Greenhouses and renewables!!

So i did a quick search and didnt come up with many promising leads. I've read a lot of talk lately of greenhouses being built. Now i'm far from even thinking about building one but i'm assuming their quite expensive.

How many people here are currently powering their greenhouse with wind or solar energy??

I'm assuming with the money being dropped on these enormous investment more people would be optimistic about reducing their energy consumption and carbon output...ASSUMING

Real Name
    Andrew
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Hhhmmmm?
    Member's Country Flag

Talking

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA if i had a greenhouse id run it off of "clean" coal from blown up Appalachian mountains and the fat of baby snow seals... whats renewable energy?...sorry i had to play the devil's advocate

But this is something that everyone should be thinking about if they love green and not that paper stuff.... even tho if thats all the agenda is about...then Yes! it will save money also..wind may be a bit of a reach in lowland and tree covered areas. Tho solar has come a long way from the past with new technology that makes it cheaper and easier for maintenance. I would love to see what people have to say about this and if they are using such systems. Im glad you bring this up Michael. Thanks

I just got back monday from the midwest renewable energy fair and learned a lot. I start my graduate level classes this Saturday as well to earn my energy education certificate. Don't be surprised if i start another thread in a few weeks about LED's. I've started using full spectrum CFL's for some of my plants, but LED's are the way to go. Of course i dont know enough information about lighting yet so i can't say a thing.

But yes, depending on where you are these systems have amazing turnaround times. Unfortunately lower income people (such as myself) cant afford such systems, but I feel since i cant that part of my job to spread the word of the benefits.

Guessing from the 80 views and 1 response im guessing not many have them installed
    If you have them installed, please post some pictures!!!

Real Name
    Randy
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda and Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

If renewable energy would be cheap, I would definitely jump on it.... however they're way
    too expensive at the moment....

Real Name
    Andrew
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Hhhmmmm?
    Member's Country Flag

True but the investment would save you in the long run.

I know in the Philippines they might not have rebates and it might cost more than it would here ( not sure). Most solar panels are 5-8 yrs turn around. Which means during that time frame your energy costs are minimized to the point that it takes 5-8 years of savings until it pays for themselves. Not to mention depending where you are there are TONS of rebates being offered...as long as your not heating your $50,000 pool

I just assumed that most people would be spending near $10,000 on a greenhouse, if not more. Which means if your making money...PLAN FOR THE TOOLS TO GO WITH IT TO BE SUSTAINABLE.

Best part is if you start using rain water and switch to LED's the price drops are tremendous!

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

If you are talking about greenhouses for commercial use, then yes perhaps the initial investment into a renewable power source would be justified. The power needs of those commercial operations can mean that the renewable system they implement would pay off sooner than later, if the system is scaled and designed appropriately.

For non commercial greenhouse owners (such is the case for most of the members here), the power needs of the structures are not so great.
    Winter heating is an exception though for cold climates but still makes for a long payout schedule when you consider the cost of even the smallest scale solar or wind powered solutions today which could cost in the order of tens of thousands of dollars.

We are not there yet, but I am seeing signs of manufacturers heading towards "Single Appliance Solutions (SAS)". This is basically a small scale renewable power source (solar or wind) which produces an output that can power a single major appliance.
    For example, one unit could power a medium sized refrigerator or window AC unit.

With that market and price scale (in the order of hundreds of dollars instead of thousands), it might make it more feasible for the average greenhouse hobbyist to consider this option since they may just need one or two units to power a few electrical equipment in small greenhouses.

If I'm going to spend $30,000-$40,000 dollars in a renewable power supply system just to power my hobby greenhouse, I would rather spend $50,000 and have it installed to power my main house and just run an extension cord to the greenhouse.

Real Name
    Andrew
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Hhhmmmm?
    Member's Country Flag

True that.

Agreed.
    I was assuming that perhaps there might have been some carbon neutral people here which may have systems on their property that power their greenhouse as well as their homes. Since ive read that many have large amounts of land, windmills would be prime!
    And those in southern states (especially NV), have another prime opportunity to sell their electricity made back into the system for extraordinary rates.

Quote Originally Posted by uscalus storm View Post
    Most solar panels are 5-8 yrs turn around.
    Support Please!

Here in Madison, WI you can get a 2Kw unit installed for $20,000. At current rates that gives you 20 - 25 cents per hour when the sun is shining. Do the math; it's no where close to an 8 year payback.