Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Misting system

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Deepak
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Member's Country Flag

Default DIY Misting system

Hi any one suggest me a DIY misting system for my orchids.

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Deepak,

There are several relatively inexpensive options for DIY misting.
    However, the setup will depend on the location and layout of your growing area.

For example, this is what I have for my misting system in the greenhouse:
    1. Patio misting kit.
    2. Programmable garden watering timer.
    3. Garden hoses to run from the water source to the greenhouse.

I have a short (4 foot) garden hose that runs from the water supply to the programmable watering timer.
    From there, I have another garden hose that runs from the watering timer to the greenhouse (about 30 feet).
    The garden hose then connects to the patio misting kit that I installed inside the greenhouse.

This is a very basic setup and does not have any sensors for temperature or moisture.
    I still have to manually make adjustments to the programmed misting schedule based on the changing seasons.
    I buried the garden hose 6 inches underground to prevent the water from getting too hot under the sun. (I wanted to bury it deeper, but I got lazy.)
    Eventually I will replace the garden hose with PVC pipes - but that is another project for the future.

You can start with that concept and build up from there. You could replace the programmable watering timer with humidity/temperature based solenoid valves.
    You can add a humidistat solenoid to start/stop the misters based on the humidity.
    You can add a thermostat solenoid to start/stop the misters based on temperature.

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Member's Country Flag

I've dreamed of having a misting system like this even if it's just the simplest patio misting kit type. However, those kinds of gadgets are very rare here in Manila and the only way for me to get one is to import. Imprtation in this country sure cost a lot plus the trouble and possible extra tax expenses to be added when it passes through customs. Geesh!

Real Name
    Randy
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda and Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

I am planning to put up something similar myself. Hopefully I can finish it before the summer arrives next year.

Real Name
    Deepak
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the Idea John .. same here getting a misting system will cost me much .. One of my willing to friend help me to building low cost misting system . soon will update with photos.

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

I have just finished putting up a DIY sprinkler/misting system with a programmed timer, which I put to use during my recent holidays. Of course it is very unsophisticated. It consists of a poly storage tank of 40 gallons;75 feet of 1/2 inch PVC pipe from the mains to the tank; about 80 feet of black poly pipes( 2 rows of 40 ft pipes 4ft apart ) in the orchid house; misting nipples screwed into the poly pipes at 2ft intervals and a 1HP electric pump to pump the water from the tank through the poly pipes. Using this set-up I find that 2 1/2 mins is all that is required to pump 30 gals in that time and thoroughly soak the pots and wet the plants. I set the timer for 9.30am and 4.30pm.

I was away for a week 15 - 22 Aug and the set-up worked just fine. I came home and found all the plants looking healthy. The cost of material including the pump and timer came to about US $170.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

You dont need to get a complete patio misting kit, the only component that you really want will be the misting nozzles.
    If you can find misting nozzles that can fit with commercially available plumbing components in your area then you can build a misting system cheaper than it would cost to import a kit.

There are also two different kinds of setup that are referred to as misting systems: Misting for humidity and temperature control, and then there's irrigation.
    If you are after humidity and temperature control then you will want the mist nozzles that produce the smallest water droplets possible.

If you are only after scheduled irrigation of the plants, then it will be easier to get the components you need.
    You can use lawn sprinkler heads connected to a grid of PVC pipes overhead carrying the water.
    Or drill small holes directly onto the PVC pipe that hang above the plants to give them a uniform shower pattern.

Another note: If your local water supply has a high concentration of calcium/salts, make sure you hook up a calcium filter to the mister supply line to minimize calcium deposits on your plants.
    Use a calcium filter, and NOT a water softener.

Real Name
    Deepak
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Member's Country Flag

Yew Sung your setup looks cool .. am planning the same thing that your using, i am go with RO booster pump for higher pressure and low amount water using to making mist.

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wetfeet101b View Post
    You dont need to get a complete patio misting kit, the only component that you really want will be the misting nozzles.
    If you can find misting nozzles that can fit with commercially available plumbing components in your area then you can build a misting system cheaper than it would cost to import a kit.

There are also two different kinds of setup that are referred to as misting systems: Misting for humidity and temperature control, and then there's irrigation.
    If you are after humidity and temperature control then you will want the mist nozzles that produce the smallest water droplets possible.

If you are only after scheduled irrigation of the plants, then it will be easier to get the components you need.
    You can use lawn sprinkler heads connected to a grid of PVC pipes overhead carrying the water.
    Or drill small holes directly onto the PVC pipe that hang above the plants to give them a uniform shower pattern.

Another note: If your local water supply has a high concentration of calcium/salts, make sure you hook up a calcium filter to the mister supply line to minimize calcium deposits on your plants.
    Use a calcium filter, and NOT a water softener.

The nozzles for misting is what I am looking for and not the one used for irrigation. It is difficult to find that type locally. Yes I agree, I read somewhere before too that the water used should be free from any form of debris or sediment or else the nozzle will clog.

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

@Jojo: The misting nozzle I use is locally called a mistingnipple and is used extensively in our orchid farms . Each one only costs 5 cents Malaysia ( 100 Filipino peso = $7 Malaysian ). Every time a nipple is clogged we discard it and screw in a new one.