Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Switching to Semi-Hydro: a repotting pictorial

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Lansrose Tawan
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Smile

Hi
    Thanks cindiras for the idea. Hope it will works

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    everything!
    Member's Country Flag

Your pictorial is great. A soldering gun is easier than a drill. Thanks.
    BiminiBob

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

This is such great information. I just ordered a bunch of s/h stuff so when my new plants arrive, I'm going to give it a go. I've ordered a compot of Wilsonara Pacific Passage 'Rocket Burst' and there are nine plants in the 3 1/2 inch pot. They're going to have to be repotted. In addition to Prime Agra, I ordered more 3 1/2 inch pots (are those going to be too big?) and some root growth stuff.

Just one question though. I had one plant that was in hydroton, but without a reservoir. The plant kept falling over, so I finally gave up and repotted it in bark (did fine in the bark). So what keeps the plant upright (or whichever direction it wants to go).

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I want to try s/h but I am agonizing over the medium. The PA seems to be popular but I saw a material called hygrostone. The tests posted seemed to do better than PA and it was physically better suited to holding the plants in place (heavier and more irregular). The only place I could find that sold it is out of business. Does anyone have any idea if it is sold under another brand name?

I also do not understand why most everyone seems to be using clear plastic pots. It would seem to me that all this accomplishes is to cause algae growth inside the pot.

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Alternety. The clear plastic pot allows you to see root growth without disturbing the plant. When the roots are covering most of the edges of the pot, you know it is time to pot up one size. I use Prime Agra right now, but constatnly on the look out for a similar product available in my area so I don't have to pay so much shipping!

Real Name
    Raphael Araujo
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance.
    Member's Country Flag

I grow mostly everything in semi-hydro and I rarely repot. Here's a link to my Ansellia in semi-hydro: http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...oly-roots.html. The roots were busting out of the pot!

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Member's Country Flag

I am using diatomite (aka "Orchid Rock" locally) in my growing place with very much success and excellent results since I am unable to find LECA anywhere! I live in Manila, Philippines.

Sharing with you guys my growing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dosal View Post
    Sorry I didn't get to this right away.
    To me and to others the advantage in growing in LECA is that you can't overwater, repotting is a breeze as well. You re-use your old medium rather than getting new bark all the time. Many plants absolutely love the constant availability of fertilizer solution.
    I know I am not going back to bark. I just have to be more attentive to keep moss from growing on the medium.
    At present I am experimenting with Diatomite and so far my plants love this even more.

Member's Country Flag

Hello!

I think as long as you can provide good humidity and ventilation to both its foliage and roots, it should do well.

I tried two different methods of growing one of my common Phal. hybrids. Both started with almost all their roots trimmed off and comes with 4 leaves each.

One tied with its roots in a ball of sphagnum moss tied to a fern bark slab.

While the other tied to just a plain fern bark slab.

my growing area is bright and breezy and I water both of them once in the morning and once in the evening.

1 year later today, the one with the Sphagnum moss has 12 leaves and a 18 flower blooms (spiked 3 months ago). While the other struggled with only 4 unhealthy looking leaves and no spike... I guess my area is too windy even though the air is humid all year round.

In this video, you can actually see Phalaenopsis is growing with all their roots exposed on tree branches, but the swampy environment ensures that it get good humidity.

So back to the same point, as long as you can provide good ventilation and humidity to your Phal. I'm sure it will thrive in various kinds of growing media...

Real Name
    Minda
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Choose just one?!
    Member's Country Flag

I found this thread very informative, since I've been thinking about trying SH. I haven't really understood it, until I read all of the information here. The potting tutorial is great! Thanks. I didn't see anything about how often to fertilize. Would someone speak about that. I apologize, if it was already explained and I missed it.

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

the same as in bark mix almost. fertilize a teeny, tiny bit every week- once a month flush the pot with clear water. Or my favorite! The lazy way. I use 1/4 teaspoon of time release fertilizer pellots per 'pot' every three months. Heavy feeders get it every two months (cymbidiums) and large pots of say 6 inches get a scant 1/2 teaspoon of pellots.