Ive been experimenting with a couple of different semi-hydro techniques. I tried the " all Leca" method with the holes about an inch from the bottom. Ive tried the "all Leca" method with the holes closer to the bottom and sitting in water up to the drain holes. Now i am trying something I've never seen anyone else do (correct me if i'm wrong).
I got an idea when I was looking at some orchids on the web in-situ. While i was reading about them I kept reading about airflow and looking at how moist the substrate (moss) looked in the pictures. It got me thinking how could i recreate that in my home orchid shelf? How could i get good airflow and moss and not have to water everyday?
I took a small orchid (Dendrobium moniliforme) and put it in an old plastic mayo jar. The jar has holes like you would see normally in a plastic pot. Some on the bottom, then some about halfway up (going all the way around.) I then filled the jar about half way with the clay leca pellets. I made sure that they were at or just above the 2nd group of air holes. Then i filled the rest of the jar with Sphag. moss. I put my little den in there and put the jar in a small dish. I fill the dish about once a week just about an 8th of an inch or about 3mm of the bottom. Since the holes are underneath the jar on the bottom, they wick the water up to the moss which in turn stays moist and makes my little den very happy. When i bought it it had four canes. Now i have over 10 canes! As the plant grew its roots pushed down the moss to the holes but it is still thriving. I was so happy that the experiment worked, that i am trying this method on my Den. dichaeoides, Den. obtusipetalum, Masd. pachyura and Pleuro. palliolata. I realize that some of these have different cultures, but i want to see what happens.Name:  DenMonTop.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  125.9 KBName:  DenMonSide.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  139.2 KB