Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physan on a Spiking Masdie?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Physan on a Spiking Masdie?

Just curious - should I continue to treat my masdie which is now in spike w/ physan? I have a small fungus gnat issue that is resolving slowly, but I'd like to treat the plant again. Don't want to hurt the flower possibilities though.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

If it's still just in spike, go ahead. If it's in bud, you'll risk losing the bloom. That may not be a big deal though; it'll bloom again. I'd rather lose the flower than lose the plant if those gnats start chewing on the crowns....

Cool - its in bud, and my very first spike/bud from scratch ever - so I'll give the fungus gnats a reprieve unless it gets worse. Its better but not gone. Wish the darn cat would eat gnats!

Heather,

You can grow carnivorous plants like Venus Fly Traps or Sundews to get rid of gnats. Those little plants are fun to grow and watch.

I've been thinking about that. The same grower that I've had such great experience w/ on ebay grows some that look interesting. Likely more reliable than the cat.

I've also kinda had an interest in general, as we live near a bog, and the plants that grow down there are way cool.

Yes, those pitcher plants are very neat. If you have a gnat problem, then it is a sign that you're over watering. Let your plants dry out a little and less watering. The carnivorous plants will take care of the gnats.

Hope this helps!

Default sphagnum

I'm convinced I have issues w/ overpacked sphag. Or, just sphag.

My first phal was in sphag and when I finally cut spikes and repotted, I had a lot of rotted roots. I watered that plant only every 2 weeks. I don't really like phals, but SO does. So, in an effort to save, repotted in a mix of sphag and bark. I've got a new leaf this week.

My second, a doritaenopsis is currently in that situation. In full bloom, being watched carefully. Not watered more than every 10 days due to when it dries out. Roots in view still look ok. But I am nervous.

My masdie Angel Tang w/ lots of new roots and a new leaf is in bark, in an african violet pot with the outer pot is lined w/ wet sphag. Growing well.

This masdie, confetti, purchased 4/24 (same day as Dtps.) from a grower in CT. is potted in a mix of sphag, and ? twigs (What IS that btw? ) It is in a 1.5" pot, which I put in a 2" pot, lined with wet sphag - fungus gnats arose. So, I just a week ago, removed it from the outer pot. Clearly not getting enough air. Treated once w/ physan 20 (1tsp. per gallon distilled water) and it spiked and has its first bud. Gnats prevailed, treated again...no gnats. Yesterday, one gnat. Dead now. Pretty dry and in need of watering tomorrow.

So, that's the detailed scoop.

I have only one Masdie and it is the species coccinea but has never bloomed for me yet hopefully soon.

Found another new growth on this plant this morning - looks like a leaf. Sure is growing fast!

Darn, I really need to find a camera!

What kind is it, species or hybrid? And how big is it and how are you growing it? I would like to know. Mine is only growing leaves and no spikes.