Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lilac visitor

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Default Lilac visitor

My yard is finally interesting , the lilacs are in bloom , here is a picture of a visitor . Gin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gin that is sooooooo beautiful!! I am an x butterfly collector and this was and still is one of my favorites. You probably know this, but it's a Tiger Swallowtail, which form I can't say. I've been doing some Google searches, but can't ID the particular variety. I will continue to check.

Here in MN, I never see these (almost never) until late summer and then very seldom. Thanks so much for posting.

k

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I just love them , but did not know what kind it is , Thanks for the ID there is a place not to far from here called The Butterfly house someday I would like to see it . Also have Robins nesting close by, they wait when I dig in the yard then grab the worms , I have a piece of orange on the fence in case Twiddle shows up . Glad you liked the picture Gin

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

Stunning photo Gin ! We are visiting near Springfield in May..is the Butterfly House anywhere near there ? Looking for places to go while in the vicinity !

Gin that is an amazing picture! How did you get so close and so clear detail without scaring the butterfly away?

That is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

RSJ

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I think the B fly was to busy with the lilacs to notice me . Gilda here is the address of the Butterfly House it is on Hwy 54 going east into Osage Beach ( Lake of the Ozarks ) Hwy 54 and Lake Rd. 63 the phone number is 573-348-0088. If you go into Osage Beach visit Dog Patch ,like to fish ? the lakes are the place to go , it is white bass fishing time . In Springfield, there is Bass Pro . for the sportsman . Not much for orchid lovers tho . College of the Ozarks on Hwy 65 just south of Branson has an orchid collection and some for sale , but Beware ! if you get any quarantine till they bloom .Or test them . they have a lot of old crosses but sadly have colorbreak too . Thanks to all for the compliments Gin

Gilda – drop me a line if you come through by way of St. Louis. Incidentally, where in TN are you? I used to live in Mt. Juliet, right between Lebanon and Nashville.

I guess I should apologize for hijacking the thread. Umm . . . our neighbor's lilac is blooming. It sticks into our yard. Well, I guess it doesn't stick into our yard, it just droops over the fence. Doesn't even reach the ground, much less stick into it.

Great photo. I also haven't seen one of these for a long time...since I was a kid growing up in Iowa.

Wonder what happened to his right wing? Must have had a bumpy landing somewhere!

I'm looking at moving to Springfield from Minneapolis this Fall... any of you Missouri members near here? Would love to get together and see your collections if I actually make the move. Any comments on the Springfield area? Is it a nice place to live? (Sorry, I know this is somewhat off the topic of a swallowtail butterfly, but there were so many Missouri comments going on, thought I try to get a little information!!!!)

Matt E. (ME)

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Matt, Springfield area is a very nice place to live , quite a bit going on there , a lot of work . Mo. is growing fast , but houses are still afforadable , I would advise living just out of Greene County the taxes there are higher in Greene . Marshfield is nice ,easy drive into Springfield .
    The Springfield Orchid Club has a show in March , the St. Louis Club at the Bot. Gardens in the spring . Gin

Thanks for the info. One of those "coincidences", if you prefer to call them that, occurred today at the Biannual AOS meeting, show, and sale here in Minneapolis. I saw a participant with a tag that said "Springfield", so I asked her if she was from Springfield, MO. Turns out it is the person in charge of the Springfield Society Show. She and her husband were great to talk to, and they both happen to work/worked with the healthsystem I'm interested in working for, and one of their societies most active members is a Physical Therapist, like myself, and works for the same system! What are the chances!?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Will keep you posted.
    Matt