Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: What are 'Tags' in the OrchidTalk Forum?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Exclamation What are 'Tags' in the OrchidTalk Forum?

What are tags?
    Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.

To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).

This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.

Who adds the tags?
    Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. The administrators and moderators may also add tags to your threads.

How do I use tags?
    Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Orchid Forum Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'

This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.

How should I tag my threads in OrchidTalk?
    The best way to tag your new thread is to use the title of the plant or subject of your thread. For example, if you were posting a photo thread about your Paph RVO Blushing Dancer the 'tags' you should add to the thread would be: paph rvo blushing dancer, paph, slipper orchid, ladyslipper

Each of your Tags would be separated by a comma. Avoid using punctuation. For example instead of BLC. Blue Boy simply post blc, blc blue boy, fragrant orchid, blue orchid (no period after the blc)

I noticed that when I start typing a new tag in the tags box, it offers suggestions. Why?
    The system has many thousand tags already in place. So if you are posting a new thread about repotting an orchid, and you type the word 'Repot' into the tag system, you will get a listing of all the ways the word repot has already been tagged. This lets you choose the appropriate tag for your post. For example, if your thread was about repotting a cattleya - if you typed repotting into the tag list, you would see a drop-down menu that would list: repot, repotting an orchid, repotting cattleya, repotting phal, etc...

What if I have additional questions about tagging a thread?
    Simply post in the Using the boards forum or contact an administrator.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Nenella
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you for this I have just learn't alot!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nen View Post
    Thank you for this I have just learn't alot!
    Glad it helped. I thought I should bump this thread again for all the newer members posting such great discussion questions and amazing orchid photos.

Cheers,
    BD