Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Tulipa turkestanica

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Tulipa turkestanica

I like the species tulips plus squirrels don't chew them to bits. Why I don't know.

This is a species native to Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and NW China. Flowers are about 2 inches on 6 inch high plants.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Whoa-- I've never seen that kind before. Very cool. Just wait till Brutal starts seeing these plants. I think you're going to have lots of trade / buy offers on your hands before long....

Awesome, Kev! I've never seen white ones around here. I did get some pink ones a few years ago...come to think of it, I better check to see if they're up or if they finally got tired of being moved all the time and died this winter. How many years do yours last for you before you stop seeing them come back or do yours actually naturalize like the species "should"? I'm wondering if mine didn't do that because it's so wet here in the winter.

RSJ

Aside from their beauty, squirrel-proof is darn nice! I gave up on tulips because the squirrels would munch the buds off before they could ever open. Expensive between-meal snacks!

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by RSJ
    How many years do yours last for you before you stop seeing them come back or do yours actually naturalize like the species "should"? I'm wondering if mine didn't do that because it's so wet here in the winter.

RSJ
    Wet conditions usually do rot most bulbs, especially winter wet. You might want to try raised beds or a drier spot. A lot of them like a good summer baking in dry soil. My species tulips are true perennials for me. They just keep multiplying. I don't think I've ever divided these although I probably could now. They are getting kind of packed in there.

The other thing I like about them is that the foliage dies back usually by early June so you don't have to look at that ugly stuff all summer.

Oh yes, they also self seed. Tulip tarda is really famous for this. They've almost achieved a delightful weed status in my garden. Since they're so early and so nice I just let them be.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I like that one . I have trouble with rabbits eating the buds on my tulips , more like the resident rabbit in the front yard ,she nested in the middle of the lawn last year and is at it again . Have to mow around her nest . Gin

We need a picture of that, Gin! A well-mown bunny nest.

Julie