Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chromosome counts and classification

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I don't do any breeding (yet) but like to keep abreast of breeding trends, at least as much as an amateur paphnut can. So I am definitely talking out of the rear. As far as I know, most if not all of the primary grexes are viable. I think there are species groups that are incompatible (eludes me right now), and I'm can't recall certain primaries like parvi x insigne complex, but then again, who the @^$$^# would make those crosses anyway?

Which brings up an interesting point. Paphs have different chromosome numbers, but their primary grexes are usually fertile...whereas prior to the ploidy revolution, phrags hit a total dead end after 1 or 2 generations.

You tend to hear more gripes about paph infertility when it comes to white complex hybrids (a quagmire of genetic material).

While I'm rambling, I might as well put forth my cynicism towards the RHS database. There are maybe a half dozen or dozen phragmipaphium hybrids registered...I am not convinced that any of them are "real". Except maybe for that Hanes Magic 'Bion' entity of the 1980s, but the only thing I've seen was a poor-quality photo. Alright, I should probably quit talking now.

Jason,

I agree with you, the so called phragmipaphium hybrids are just plain rip offs, I don't think any of those are the real thing.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

The RHS is another thing that strikes me as silly. I know in the past year they denied the rightful originator's attempt to register paph. (platyphyllum aka stonei latifolium x sanderianum) on the grounds that Phillip Cribb considered platy to be synonymous with stonei. Later on, a prominent orchid grower convinced him otherwise, and was able to register the hybrid with his own name. Originator unknown, of course. At least it wasn't registered as Wossner Sandplat.

One of these days I'll register a cattleypaphium. Anyone willing to help me photoshop an image?

Originally posted by Jmoney

Anyone willing to help me photoshop an image?
    You are trying to keep me from going to bed anytime soon.

grrr.