Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reputation - a way to show appreciation for contributions

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

I'm thinking that if I were you, doing anything about the rep icon would be written on the back of a napkin and placed in the circular file - either that, or find a wealthy and eccentric patron to finance the staff you so deserve!

Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

I never realized it was there. I will definitely use it!

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mauraec View Post
    I do understand how it works - I just wondered whether enough other people knew how to make it work the way it's intended - and whether, due to it being an icon instead of a word, and requiring a little more work, that perhaps it wasn't being used as effectively as the Forum would like it to be. OT has so much in the posts and photos that just keeping up and responding when appropriate takes a lot of time and effort - I personally often forget to do a rep for someone - my evaluation of their post is really in my response. I don't know how you manage to keep up with all of this AND teach AND actually grow orchids AND all the other things you do - unless sleeping is optional, but I find that between working with my plants, staying active on the forum, and trying to lead the rest of my life is requiring a lot of organizational skills and energy I haven't used in awhile. Maybe I'll be better at this in 6 weeks, when this whole chemo thing is over with.

I don't mean any of this as a negative or critical comment on the OT system - just trying to give you some feedback that might apply to others as well, and thus might prove helpful somehow.

Always -

Maura
    I find that rep isnt given as much as it should be in some respects, i try to give whenever i can. But i too think that perhaps the like button could be a thumbs-up icon and the reputation icon turned to a word? Sounds like a good idea Thumbs-up icons are always associated with good work anyway, but it took me a while to find the rep button lol

Thanks for all the hard work tho Bruce, and how can we forget the work LJA does too!?

Real Name
    angela parris
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Dendrobium, Oncidium
    Member's Country Flag

Hi BD

Thanks for the info on 'Reputation', as a newbie I saw it but did not know what it was about. LOL did not even know that I received some myself!!!
    Until I saw what your average day involves I thought I had a hectic schedule now I know that I am just breezing along.
    Keep up the good work.
    Best Wishes
    Angela

Real Name
    Katherine
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too new to tell
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    Just got a PM question about this today so I thought I would post my response here too.

The question: Where can I see what other say about me when giving me rep points?

The Answer: Visit your 'Settings' page by clicking the 'Settings' link in the far-up-right corner of every forum page (above the OrchidTalk logo at the top of the page and to the right.) There you can see your reputation comments and who gave them to you. AND - only you can see your reputation comments on your settings page. Other members can only see your profile page.

cheers,
    BD
    So I know i have reputation, but for the life of me I have searched high and low and do not see where the comments, etc. are, I have asked other friends on this site, they did not see it either...maybe I am being very thick....maybe I need a screen shot

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    So I know i have reputation, but for the life of me I have searched high and low and do not see where the comments, etc. are, I have asked other friends on this site, they did not see it either...maybe I am being very thick....maybe I need a screen shot
    As I said " You are the only person who can see your rep comments." It is likely that you have reputation from just participating and no one has actually left any comments. If that is the case, you will not see any comments. Here is a screen shot from my profile to show you what it looks like....

Name:  Screen Capture #002 - 'Settings_usercp_php.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  182.7 KB

cheers,
    BD

I will leave one for Katherine. I didn't know about this. I see I have 4 of them

Real Name
    Katherine
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too new to tell
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    I will leave one for Katherine. I didn't know about this. I see I have 4 of them
    Thanks! Now I know where to find it. You have been so helpful to me all along!

Real Name
    Katherine
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too new to tell
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    As I said " You are the only person who can see your rep comments." It is likely that you have reputation from just participating and no one has actually left any comments. If that is the case, you will not see any comments. Here is a screen shot from my profile to show you what it looks like....

Name:  Screen Capture #002 - 'Settings_usercp_php.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  182.7 KB

cheers,
    BD
    Thanks for the Screen shot, I think it will help everyone that would like to see theirs.