Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reputation - a way to show appreciation for contributions

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thumbs up Reputation - a way to show appreciation for contributions

What is reputation?
    Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the reputation icons are visible in posts just the User Name.
    Reputation may be positive or neutral Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.

How do I give reputation?
    To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. (This is the star icon found at the base of every post - just opposite of the reply and quote buttons.) This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?
    You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed on the user 'settings' page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?
    The amount of reputation that each user will give is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power increases over time time and participation in our community.

So, next time you see a post that your find particularly helpful or educational, go on and give that user some reputation. Please note that reputation is different from the 'Likes' link. You can 'rep' a post and you can also 'like' a post. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

Real Name
    Kathi
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can I pick just one???
    Member's Country Flag

Just to check...this is different from "liking" a post, correct?

Real Name
    Nandini
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything I can grow
    Member's Country Flag

Smile

Thanks for that, I used to think no one does it on OT, my first rep will be to Dorsetman for his informative posts...

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kmac View Post
    Just to check...this is different from "liking" a post, correct?
    Yes, this is different from Liking a post.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Just got a PM question about this today so I thought I would post my response here too.

The question: Where can I see what other say about me when giving me rep points?

The Answer: Visit your 'Settings' page by clicking the 'Settings' link in the far-up-right corner of every forum page (above the OrchidTalk logo at the top of the page and to the right.) There you can see your reputation comments and who gave them to you. AND - only you can see your reputation comments on your settings page. Other members can only see your profile page.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Just an observation, BD - members really don't seem to use the reputation function a lot - I know it seldom occurs to me to do it even when I am particularly impressed with someone's post. On the other hand, people seem to use "like" much more freely, and I think it's partly a reputation-type call on their part. Perhaps this is because "Like" is much more visible as an option, or less of a commitment, but maybe reputation is just a little too obscurely located to really reflect members' appreciation for others, with the exception of the "greats", like Yew, Geoff, Amey, etc. I could be totally wrong - often am, but that's my input, anyway....

Maura

Real Name
    Pat
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I was wondering how to do it and couldn't figure it out. Thanks

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thumbs up

Thanks Maura and Pat. Well, first, reputation is different from the 'Like' feature. Reputation gives you a chance to actually say something to the individual whom you appreciate. When you click the Star icon located below every post, you get a pop-up that allows you to add a reputation comment. I have disabled negative reputation. There is no need for that feature in a community such as ours. You can give reputation without leaving a comment, but it is always nice to see the comments of your peers in the community when s/he leaves a 'rep' for you.

The 'Like' feature acknowledges posts that are helpful without the option to leave additional feedback. This feature is also used in the Search Engine Positioning (SEO) for our community. The more individual likes a post gets, the move importance it has to search spiders as that content *must* be relevant or special. Likes are shown within the post that is 'Liked' whereas reputation is not shown on the individual post.

Reputation points are gained for activity in the forum, longevity in the forum, as well as for acknowledgment for a 'great post'.

Hope that helps!!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

I do understand how it works - I just wondered whether enough other people knew how to make it work the way it's intended - and whether, due to it being an icon instead of a word, and requiring a little more work, that perhaps it wasn't being used as effectively as the Forum would like it to be. OT has so much in the posts and photos that just keeping up and responding when appropriate takes a lot of time and effort - I personally often forget to do a rep for someone - my evaluation of their post is really in my response. I don't know how you manage to keep up with all of this AND teach AND actually grow orchids AND all the other things you do - unless sleeping is optional, but I find that between working with my plants, staying active on the forum, and trying to lead the rest of my life is requiring a lot of organizational skills and energy I haven't used in awhile. Maybe I'll be better at this in 6 weeks, when this whole chemo thing is over with.

I don't mean any of this as a negative or critical comment on the OT system - just trying to give you some feedback that might apply to others as well, and thus might prove helpful somehow.

Always -

Maura

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Maura, I appreciate and welcome feedback. Like I tell my students - how can anyone do better or know what works well with out some feedback. And, regarding sleeping - yeah, pretty much not an option in the early part of the fall semester when I am directing a play in the evenings, building the sets, lights, costumes, etc... in the afternoons, and teaching in the mornings. Oh and there is the grading too. haha... My schedule starts tomorrow morning with watering the greenhouse between 5 and 6 am before reading/grading 6 costume designer analysis before 8 am and then getting to work to meet the students doing internship presentations in the morning. haha... Yeah, sleep... hmmm - what the heck is that?!

Thanks for you comments, encouragement, and time. The icon does have popup text when one hovers over it, but it doesn't have any text typed on the page like the reply button. That may be something I can edit when time permits.

cheers,
    BD