What is reputation?
Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the reputation icons are visible in posts just the User Name.
Reputation may be positive or neutral Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.

How do I give reputation?
To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. (This is the star icon found at the base of every post - just opposite of the reply and quote buttons.) This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?
You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed on the user 'settings' page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?
The amount of reputation that each user will give is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power increases over time time and participation in our community.

So, next time you see a post that your find particularly helpful or educational, go on and give that user some reputation. Please note that reputation is different from the 'Likes' link. You can 'rep' a post and you can also 'like' a post. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.