Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Seeds sown today!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Seeds sown today!!

As promised here are a few pics from my adventure in the Micro lab he he he. Sowed 12 mother flasks. I hope they do well.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

geepers... that looks so.. soo.. umm, are you sure it's orchids you're growin in there Josh? We're not gonna find Skittle mericlones or sumfing right?

Good luck with the little babies...

he he he Hope not LOL Hope there wasn't any contamination either. I got to use some cool things at school too. The little piet thing that I used to draw up the seeds was one like the profesional micro guys use it was pretty cool. LOL I just expected to use a sterile eyedropper. LOL I hope they grow too. I will have some seedlings for trade then.

Forgot to add the plants I sown were
    C. Shilleriana
    Den bifalce
    Den Discolor X self
    Den discolor

Was sent two different packs of discolor so thats why there is a distinction. The seeds were probably sown think since I only had 3 jars for each mother flask. But that when replating comes in I guess. he he he. GROW BABIES GROW!!!

Josh,

That's very cool. I think I could really get into this stuff if I had the equipment, etc. Thank goodness I don't. What would my life be like then?

I was wondering why you wanted a lock of my hair? I bet those are SkitPhals and SkitDends you have growing in there. I've been mutated!!

Yikes!!

ok the Skittle thing must have went way over my head then. Will someone please clue me in. LOL I forgot to take pictures of the agar mixxing and autoclaving and all. Was just so excitec to be starting. I had the seeds for darn near a month in the fridge. Was so excited I could barely sleep last night.

Kev I dont have the equipment either I was just lucky enough that the Professor at school who I had never seen agreed to help me. I think he got a kick out of it too. I got to play with a centrofuge, fancy PH meter, magnetic mixxer, and chemicals to adjust the PH. Oh can't forget the medical grade pipet too. Way cool LOL. He said that I will only be able to use the lab for my rchids one more time for replate, but I will try to talk him into letting me do another batch of seeds if this one goes well.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Josh, that is GREAT! Look at that hood you got to use! Awesome stuff. When the seeds sprout you have to take pics!

I will be glad too!! I think I sown the seeds with a little to much water though. Will have to reform my technics next time. The Discolor by selfs I know I put to much water in with the seeds. Because of that some seeds went to the bottom of the agar, but still have alot on top. Hopefully enough on top sroup for replates. I am thinking about ordering some petri dishes to use for mother plasts next time. Dont need much augar like I used and also you only need to leave them in long enough to sprout so why use all the room like I did.:check: I think it may be worth a try. I also hope they allow me to use the setup more than for just one batch of seeds. LOL We shall see. Thanks for the encouragement guys!!

looks nice josh, very professional My phal "Taisuco Smile" currently has two spikes on it, and I dont want to go through the trouble of flasking the seed, would you mind growing my seed and I can give you half the seedlings that come from it

I would be glad to Krik. Just give me a min to figure out how I;m going to do my next batch of seeds. The school is not going to allow me to use the hoods that often. I was told I could do my replate and then thats about it. May be able to talk him into letting me do it again. Just an update too. Two flask of Discolors have protocorms in them. My computer is on the fritz, but when I get my new one running I will post some pictures. It took obout a month and a half to get the around 8 protocorms I have so far. Hopefully after some more time more will grow too. And also out of the 12 mother flasks I did up NONE were contaminated!!!! I would think after a month I would have seen some if I had contaminated. WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! I will post pictures soon.

Kirk that Phal you have is a hybred correct? You may not want to take the time its going to take to cross it with itself. Also you may want to get a little more hang of growing Chids before you spend the time with seedlings too. They are not the easiest to grow at that age. Unless you don't mind spending the time needed to do an endevor like that, but if you want to do the cross and I have a place to do the flasking I would be glad to. And also just to let you know my Gongora seed pod is still growing so it willbe some time beforeI send you the seedling Kirk.