Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Neomoorea irrorata

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by orchidsal View Post
    I have a Neomoorea irrorata whos purchase was inspired by this very post Lars. My plant is relatively small so it may be years before I see blooms. Some people look forward to retirement. Some look forward to being with the grand kids and family. Me , I look forward to see my Neomoora irrorata bloom......... AL
    If you really go in for self-punishment Al, you could copy me, and buy some seedlings in flask... in my case ( I am in my ninth decade of life you know ! ) its a case of can I live long enough to grow them to flower and then carry on to make specimen plants....

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    If you really go in for self-punishment Al, you could copy me, and buy some seedlings in flask... in my case ( I am in my ninth decade of life you know ! ) its a case of can I live long enough to grow them to flower and then carry on to make specimen plants....
    I have no doubt, Geoff, that you will live to see MANY awe-inspiring developments in your collection - as well as a good deal more traveling to do (the East Coast of the States comes to mind)!

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

Geoff; My mother is 84 years old come this May and is still working full time doing computer/office work. Without trying to get to technical about it you sound as if your in good health and strong disposition. I would lay money down on the fact that you'll see your seedlings mature and bloom, with specimen plants in your future. You know I had a friend that more than once told me that a little self punishment was a good thing....................AL

Real Name
    Kathi
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can I pick just one???
    Member's Country Flag

Oh, this is so lovely!!! Thanks for posting; Id not seen this before.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

ok, so i saw some of these listed for sale and grabbed one.......... can't wait. i'm told it is near blooming sized but the example picture shows only 3 leaves and bulbs. anyone have any updates on how they grow theirs? there is amazingly little info on this orchid. i plan on growing it outside on my balcony, near the bollopetalum that is blooming... as this is the 'reward orchid' i get for flowering that one and sounds like similar care. sadly enough, most people who have it seem to report never flowering it. they also seem to have greenhouses, so maybe they are pampering it too much? i'm wondering if it needs a winter low temp to flower, much like a cymbidium? if so, it should love my balcony! the name also seems be be changed to neomoorea wallisi now? off i go to google the other name, in case there is more info under that one...

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

I'll start by saying that my Neomoora Wallisii has not bloomed yet. I'm hopeful of some future activity along these lines due to what I'm recently seeing. The pseudo-bulbs have plumped up beautifully. The newest growth has at least five leaves and is going to two feet long at least. As has been stated the older leaves last a long time. Here are the conditions it grows under. Bright indirect light with a bit of direct morning sun. Water every two days except in winter when every three days will do. MSU F. at 3/4's tsp. every week (a bit of a heavy feeder) and by the way it came in a 4 inch pot in medium bark only and is still happy there. Warm temps 62 degees F. to 80 degrees F. At least this information may give you a healthy start. I read of one orchid hobbiest who had this plant for five or six years and no blooms. He gave it to a local Botanical Garden a few miles away where it has bloomed beautifully every year since it's move. This was in like Calgary, Canada............................GOOD Luck! AL

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

hmmm, i'm wondering if it can be grown in sphagnum, instead of watering constantly and kept damp, like my bollopetalum. i found an odd comment on another forum where someone had been told never use moss, but they were unclear on why that mattered. seems to like being wet, there are a few mentions online of never allowing it to dry out, except a little in winter time. there are also mentions of giving more shade in winter, and more sun in winter. normally orchids might get more light in winter? a very confusing orchid, i hope worth the challenge. i also ordered a schomburgkia tibicinis, which i was thinking would be a small orchid, but both i find now listed as 'giant sized' !!! oh well, i'll squish them in somewhere. may not be room for myself on the balcony after this! i do have spots where they should get some morning sun, but be in bright shade before the heat kicks in. the schom will get a bit more sun where i plan to put it in winter time. but that was the point of getting it.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

More sun in winter can be due to the habitat being deciduous forest so that the trees are leafless at that time.
    The contradiction explained ?

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

that's what i am thinking, so i don't understand where people are saying to give it more shade in winter. that just does not make sense. also those following that regimen have killed their plant. i doubt it wants to be bone dry in the shade for winter, that is not consistent with the local weather for panama. dryer maybe, but not 'dry' completely.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

Hi guys, any news? Now Neomoorea are in rest period, right?