Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: My Adiantum pedatum

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default My Adiantum pedatum

Since Tim our Grand Master did the piece on these ferns, I thought you might like to see a clump in my garden. It's still fully leafed out, but still nice. I really love this fern.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I like how you've got them growing against the log, too. Very naturally placed.

Thanks. I love the whole decay process. That was an old sumac that just died one spring. I pushed it over (it was kind of rotten inside) and planted around. Other things have just kind of grown up around it.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Great garden set up there Kevie, and that log sure looks great and naturale. SO behind that log, is it built up with soil or compost?

Btw, it still freaks me out that these are called 'maidenhair fern'...

as an aside, the more I see of your plants and snippet garden pics, the more I think your garden as a whole must be an absolute beaut!

Cheers
    T

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

It looks so cool and earthy , beautiful shot . Gin

Quote Originally Posted by bench72
    Great garden set up there Kevie, and that log sure looks great and naturale. SO behind that log, is it built up with soil or compost?

Btw, it still freaks me out that these are called 'maidenhair fern'...

as an aside, the more I see of your plants and snippet garden pics, the more I think your garden as a whole must be an absolute beaut!

Cheers
    T
    Thanks Tim.

It's pretty much just soil although I do a lot of compost each year. Right now I have 7 compost bins and keep them all full. Not a leaf, coffee ground, dead veggie, or anything plant related goes in the trash. I compost everything all year round.

In think I've mentioned this, but my garden (or gardens) and lot is very small. I just have every square inch of it planted with stuff. Every year I keep on rearranging things trying to make it more perfect. I like the smallness of it. You can still grow tons of stuff without it being a full-time job.

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

Kev, or to anyone who grow this kind of fern, do they ever invade your orchids? Those kind of ferns grow wild here, and from time to time I see tiny seedlings appear among my outdoor orchids. Roots are very tough and difficult to pull out if I don't pull them out at early age.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Tanya,

I guess, I've not been fortunate enough to be growing these well for any length of time to say yes or no to their potential invasiveness.

However, with all plants, if they are growing somewhere you don't want them to, then they are a weed.

We do get some other plants growing in the garden, so what I do is I pot them up. Some even make nice presents for other people.

The other thing is that I am so fussy about what is growing on the orchid pots, that nothing grows past the initial two leaf stage (there is a scientific botanical name for this but, well I'm too dumb to remember at the moment... and I meant the two leaf stage not my anal retentiveness ).

Cheers
    Tim