Since we were talking a bit about iris, I thought you might be interested in this close relative. Worldwide, there are about 90 species of these annuals and rhizomatous perennials. Most are native to North and South America. The foliage looks very similar to iris, but not quite as rigid or as wide. Basically, they want full sun in poor to moderately fertile soil, well drained.

Folks in the US are probably most familiar with S. graminoides (Blue-eyed Grass). This is a hardy perennial growing to about 10 inches. It blooms mainly in the spring, but will continue to throw out flowers through most of the summer.

The other variety often seen in the warmer parts of the US is S. californicum (Yellow-eyed Grass). To me this one looks a bit more like a tiny iris than the Blue-eyed – foliage wise that is. I’ve grown this one several times as an annual because it will flower the first year from seed. It’s really very cute and flower throughout the summer.

Two others I am also growing are S. striatum and S. arenarium. These are not hardy in my area since they are from South America, so I overwinter them in a south window in an unheated part of my house for winter. It’s worked well. They stay green, but don’t put out new growth until I put them outside in the spring. S. striatum is just getting ready to bloom, so these are not my pics.
– striatum

– arenarium

Except for the first two, seeds of the other varieties seem a bit difficult to find in the US. I think some of these are more widely grown in Europe than here. They definitely are worth growing if you can find them.