Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Begonias

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Begonias

Oh Kev-o, lord of the green things,

Do tell what temps begonias can withstand outside... I'm trying to impress a friend who's anxious to plant hers (but fearful of our sucky weather) how handy the forum is.

Julie

Julie Oh Humble Servant

Your weather can't be any suckier than ours and I've had my grandis out for a few weeks now. Even though the $%#@^%g squirrels chewed it off, it is growing back already. I think 50's night time temps are the rule of thumb, but I always push everything.

Lord Skit

Oh Canna whisperer,

My ziploc babies are growing with some major spurts (maybe half of the dozen - dud rhizomes from boxstore!) We're still looking at nights in high 40's and 50's (it's been a dreadful spring). Should I plant the suckers that are striving to survive? I'm think they're ready for some terra firma.

Your supplicant

My supplicant

Is it going to get warm anytime soon? I finally put mine out last week. We've had nights in the 50's, days in the 60's and rain, rain, rain. If it's sunny, you might get away with doing it since the sun warms the ground. On the other hand, cannas really don't like cold temps. You might want to wait a bit. Make sure you give them a good dose of fertilizer while in the bags as long as they are growing.

Happy to hear you had success with the bag method. Better than big old pots, right?

Lord Skit

Oh lord,

I love the bags. I sphaged and bagged and water with fert and vits twice a week. I'll get some good plants out of the dozen 'zomes, but it's looking like maybe half that count. A couple were rotted coming out of the original package. So much for the boxstore cheapy deal.

Let me get hooked on cannas with this batch and I'll go high end next season. (Am psyched the Schreiners iris are coming this July!!!!)

Sup

PS - Loved your water iris, but wasn't allowed to post that. Damned snobby clubs...

I shouldn't tell you this, but I just composted a whole bunch of extra cannas I just didn't have room for - some really nice, names ones.

If you're REALLY nice to me this year, I might just send you some this fall when I dig. I always have tons extras.

Glad you liked the iris. It really is pretty for a first flower.

LS

Quote Originally Posted by TundraKev
    If you're REALLY nice to me this year, I might just send you some this fall when I dig.
    Dear Lord Skit,

May your vigorous rhizome grow long and deep (an ancient canna blessing.)

I won't burden listeners with the ancient response, but all thanks for your sage wisdom.

Sup