Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oncidium Orchid Care Questions

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Member's Country Flag

Default Oncidium Orchid Care Questions

Hello all,

I have a few questions about my Oncidium and they may be a bit generic though. I have been browsing past post but have not found answers (yet) to my questions.

1. I just want a big plant, do I need to separate or can I just keep getting bigger containers?

2. What type of artificial lighting are you using on your Oncidiums?

3. Oncidiums aren't mentioned as much as Phals and other orchids, so people not "like" them much?

4. I read that they will climb out of the pot or over each other, what is the best container to grow them in?

5. When people say they add fertilizer to the mister are they misting the leaves or just the roots?

Thanks for any responses and sorry if these ? have been answered, I have browsed the older post but did not see any of the questions above.

Miller
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Kathi
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can I pick just one???
    Member's Country Flag

Here's my 2 cents...

1. I just want a big plant, do I need to separate or can I just keep getting bigger containers? You can keep getting bigger containers. Our OS president had an enormous, enormous specimen plant. I think the main issue is to manage to get the plant throughly wet, but let it drain quickly and thoroughly as well. I find oncidiums a bit tricker to water than catts. I do know that some folks with specimen size plants put an upside-down net or other pot in the middle of a larger pot...so that you don't end up with a big wet center than doesn't ever get to dry out.

2. What type of artificial lighting are you using on your Oncidiums? Mine have been indoors on plant shelves with lights all winter and seem happy (and bloom). They spend the summer on the patio in a semi-shaded area.

3. Oncidiums aren't mentioned as much as Phals and other orchids, so people not "like" them much? I think some do, some don't. I like them, but I do find the watering to be a bit trickier.

4. I read that they will climb out of the pot or over each other, what is the best container to grow them in? They do tend to climb. I grow mine in plastic pots, and don't worry about it.

5. When people say they add fertilizer to the mister are they misting the leaves or just the roots? I mist whole plant when I do this...foliar feeding. It is in addition to regular fertlizer though.

This is only my experience though!

Real Name
    Jason
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmapedium
    Member's Country Flag

Good advice Kathi. The only thing I would add Miller is that oncidiums like a lot of sun. Make sure they get around 3000 foot candles under artificial light or if you put them outside give them direct sun in the morning and late afternoon but shade in the middle of the day. They also can tolerate higher temperatures, which I'm sure you get down in Houston. I've heard they need finer bark potting mix becuase they have thinner roots. But I've had good luck growing them in the same bark mix I use for cattleyas and phalaenopsis. People should talk about oncidiums more than phals in my opinion because, at least for me, they're much easier to grow and bloom. I tend to neglect mine more than my other orchids and they bloom right on schedule every year. They also grow like crazy and get to specimen pretty quickly. Happy growing!

-Jason

Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Kathy, you are in Texas like me so I was thinking of growing some orchids under my arbor. Do you have an arbor are a fully covered patio? Which orchids are you growing outside?

Miller

Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Well now I am confused (shocker lol), someone said they do not believe it is Oncidium. I have the two spikes so I guess when it blooms we can make a more positive id. I have attached some pics I took today, what do you think? Right now it is in a South facing window but receives very filtered light because of my arbor. I am scared to move it again since this is it's second location from my kitchen window that faces west. It started spiking after the move so don't know if the relocation was the cause or not. I am so excited and so confused at the same time. I have added some more photos of the "Oncidium", two years plus waiting for blooms and now I am more confused than ever! lol

Miller

Real Name
    Kathi
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can I pick just one???
    Member's Country Flag

My patio is not covered at all, but has a huge live oak which provides partial shade. I stick most of my catts out there in the summer, as well as oncidiums, and dendrobiums. Jason is right that they like a lot of sun, but less than the dens and catts, so the oncidiums get more shade than the others. I have cooked a couple to death between the heat and too much sun, so I am a bit cautious now.

As for what yours is, you have never seen the bloom on it?? It looks to me like it is in the oncidum alliance, anyway. Some of them don't take as much light as oncidiums though...for example, my brassia (which looks much like a big oncidium) burns much more easily than the oncidiums.

Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Kathi. Went I bought it, almost three years ago, it was in bloom. It looked very much like an Oncidium, I am going to call it that until it blooms again. Here are some picks of the one I picked up today hehehe, it looks pretty much identical when in bloom and smells exactly the same. However, I believe the blooms were yellow but cant' truly remember. I will hold on the outdoor thing till next year when hope to know a bit more about what I am doing. The one in the photo is called Onc. Heaven Scent "Redolence"

Miller

Real Name
    Ruth
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Odtoglossum Alliiance

Hi I agree with Kathi it looks Like an an odont x I have a small oncidium coming out it is Onc Twinkle 'Weston' oncidium are usualy large plants that take up a lot of room I think that is why they are not in favour .Here in New Zealand they are quite popular.They are often growen in hanging baskets or on peices of wood or what ever you can lay your hands on I have seen some fine specimen grown this way. I love the smaller growing oncidiums they are neat .

Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the input Ruth, I see that you are new to the forums like me so WELCOME. I have only been on a day or two and everyone has been so nice, unlike the Reptile forum that I also belong to. ;-)

Miller

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag

Miller, very nice specimen you have right there! I agree with Ruth, they can get rather large, but i also prefer the smaller ones like Onc. ornithercerancum (however it is spelt), as it serves two purposes. It is a great brother repellent hehe and it looks nice.