Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Repotting with Pearl Rock

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kreg
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Default Repotting with Pearl Rock

I repotted three Encyclias today that were all new acquisitions and all suffering from some degree of root rot. Since they were in plastic pots with bark mixes I decided to try repotting into clay pots with an aggregate, more specifically a material called Pearl Rock. It looks like whitish river rock basically. I'm not sure if I can mention the manfacturer here but if anyone would like specs I can message. Anyhow, my inquiry is for some ideas from anyone experienced with Pearl Rock, river rock, or something similar with orchids requiring drier culture? This is partial experimentation but I'd still like to hear any suggestions, comments, kudos, RE this product or anything similar. Also would love to hear of medias you've had luck with specifically for drier culture orchids like Encyclias, etc. By the way, the species being repotted include two E. profusas and one E. cordigera 'Chocolate'. They are in a western window upstairs but I'm considering moving them outside into higher humidity for the summer.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

Alot of the encyclia types i've received, from 3 different vendors, all came in the clay pellets used for semi hydro. I've seen them mounted onto wood as well, but not locally.

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

My experience with Encyclia's only goes back seven months or so. but I and others like Betty (espranch) on the Forum water much less in winter. If the pseudo-bulbs get a bit more wrinkled fine, I wouldn't worry about it. From April on though I gradually increase watering/fertilizer. Now that my green house is at 80 to 90 degrees F. I water every three to four days and fertilize once a week/weakly. I have Encyclia's in 4 inch hanging baskets which are in bark mix. All the potted in Encyclia's are 'river rock' save one 7 inch potted prismatocarpa in medium bark mix. I would venture to say that your probably wise to pot up in Pearl rock considering you root problems. I don't believe though that after a initial period for your Encyclia's to adapt to their new homes that you should think of them as 'drier culture" this time of year. Putting them outside with partial shade or later on, morning sun in your humid climate might be a great idea. By the way all Encyclia's I tend have multiple new growths and one prismatocarpa is in full bloom. I hope this helps! AL

Real Name
    Don Keim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

My best luck with rupicolous laelias is with this product. When repotting I simply sit the clear plastic pot and all into a larger slear plastic pot and fill in the remaining space with more rock. No transplant shock, the rock never breaks down and so far, 4 years, I have noticed no sign of salt buildup. The pots I am using have slits in the sides.

Real Name
    Patty
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    What isn't?!
    Yuma, AZ: The little corner where Arizona, California and Mexico meet.
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Germinatorman View Post
    My best luck with rupicolous laelias is with this product. When repotting I simply sit the clear plastic pot and all into a larger slear plastic pot and fill in the remaining space with more rock. No transplant shock, the rock never breaks down and so far, 4 years, I have noticed no sign of salt buildup. The pots I am using have slits in the sides.
    So, Don, do you leave the plant in the old pot when you upsize? Do you just leave the roots to go throught the slits?

Real Name
    Don Keim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I leave the plant in the old pot, the roots in there do not continue growing. The new growths reach over the edge and begin growing in the new rock in the new pot. Eventually you can end up with several pots, one inside the other with space filled with rock. I also do this with larger plants and clay pots. After a while they get pretty hefty but the plants don't fall over.

Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LilSatchmo View Post
    I repotted three Encyclias today that were all new acquisitions and all suffering from some degree of root rot. Since they were in plastic pots with bark mixes I decided to try repotting into clay pots with an aggregate, more specifically a material called Pearl Rock. It looks like whitish river rock basically. I'm not sure if I can mention the manfacturer here but if anyone would like specs I can message. Anyhow, my inquiry is for some ideas from anyone experienced with Pearl Rock, river rock, or something similar with orchids requiring drier culture? This is partial experimentation but I'd still like to hear any suggestions, comments, kudos, RE this product or anything similar. Also would love to hear of medias you've had luck with specifically for drier culture orchids like Encyclias, etc. By the way, the species being repotted include two E. profusas and one E. cordigera 'Chocolate'. They are in a western window upstairs but I'm considering moving them outside into higher humidity for the summer.
    I bet they will do fine in the white pearl rock, Kreg. The only difference between that and the expanded clay pellets is that the clay pellets are quite a bit lighter in weight. I do however, have a dendrobium in the pearl rock and it is doing great! Encyclias like to dry before getting more water. They grow in rather barren places, both on trees and rocky soil. Please keep me up-dated as to how yours are doing...Thanks, Betty

Real Name
    Kreg
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Betty, I continued to watch the encyclias for a couple days after this repotting event into the pearl stone/rock and the profusas pbulbs continued to wither. Fearing loss I went with a second repotting into lava rock with plastic pots that have large drain holes for more aeration. I stacked a couple large lava rocks in the bottom as well to give it a bit of a breeze and then potted the encyclias up in slightly smaller (±3/4 to 1 inch) lava rock. Would you believe by the next morning one of the profusa's pbulbs were almost as plump as when I first obtained the plant! As of now I'm sold on lava rock! Its cheap (about 4 bucks for a big bag, compared to almost 6 bucks for a small bag of the pearl stone) and easily obtainable at absolutely any big box or mom and pop garden center around. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic to see the plant looking so healthy again!!

Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

That is great, Kreg...whatever works for the orchids & you! I have a few orchids potted in lava rock, and they seem to like it. I agree that its cheap & easy to use...Betty