Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basics of orchid genetics OR why the hell doesn't my orchid look like its ancestors

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for adding that Pavel
    Quote Originally Posted by pavel View Post
    Well done, Amey!

For those who might be interested, F1 stands for Filial 1 ... or in other words the first generation of offspring (sons and daughters) resulting from the parental (P) generation. The 'grandchildren' if you will, would be denoted as the F2 generation and so forth.

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Really no idea Pavel as no genetic studies have been done with orchids to this degree because generation of mutants and studying them is difficult considering that t a plant from seedling to flowering size needs atleast 3 years (one PhD tenure!!! against the model plant species 8 weeks LOL). What I can say for sure is that it is much more complex, if you remember my post about the ABC model of flower development on orchids, there are 3 classes of B genes (could be a total of 9 B genes) that regulate the formation of lip, 9 from each parent means there are 18 alleles, so you can think of everything that could happen right hehe. With the frilly lip I think it is more of dosage dependent dominant character rather than incomplete dominance. With the multiple gene single phenotype hypothesis (which is more likely) if the frilly lip was incompletely dominant its character would have washed down completely after a few generations as multiple genes would have been exchanged during crossing overs. But what we observe is that once you have hybridised a plant with digbyana the flowers will always give hints to its ancestry even if digyana was the great great grand parent of the hybrid. Dosage seems more probable, you have two copies of frilly genes so more frilly, one copy replaced by normal non frilly gene so less frilly. But yes incomplete dominance, co-dominance and most importantly epigenetics are all possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavel View Post
    As Amey alluded to, genetics often gets quite complicated as one examines traits involving codominance (both traits are expressed), incomplete dominance (phenotype is a blending of the two traits), traits involving more than one gene, epigenetics, and mutations. With the lip example, above, it would seem that incomplete dominance might be at work as the lip is not as frilly as Rl. digbyana but is definitely much more frilly than C. purpurata. (Any idea if that is indeed the case, Amey?)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]For those interested in furthering their genetics understanding, I'm sure Amey could be prevailed upon to do further installments. (Don't you like how subtly I volunteered you for such a task, Amey? )
    Yes I like it how you appealed to the scientist in me (if there is any such thing LOL) to read more and make more installments. Really happy with the response I get here, It really means a lot to me.

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks a lot Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Germinatorman View Post
    Love this Amey, especially as you have broken this down. I am having problems with genetics the Hosta plant. Three sets of chromosomes in the meristem of a leaf causes interesting issues when doing meristem culture - I always thought that a meristemmed plant would be identical to its one and only 'parent'. Not so.
    Love your enthusiasim with the subject!
    Yes the recombination events can be a bummer for meristem cultures, but we have to be grateful to them for generating all the variation we see, or else life would have been very boring with thousands of people looking almost identical LOL.

Annatjie

I wish I know more about participating in the discussions . I will try in future. I will reply after reading Amey's article