Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Mont Millais' FCC/AOS x 'Rex' FCC/AOS

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Mont Millais' FCC/AOS x 'Rex' FCC/AOS

The crossing exists Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Mont Millais' FCC/AOS x 'Rex' FCC/AOS ?. In another forum I have found constancy of the existence of Paph.rothschildianum 'Rex' FCC/AOS x 'Mont Millais' FCC/AOS but nothing of the first crossing mentioned.
    I have bought Paph.rothschildianum 'Rex' FCC/AOS x 'Mont Millais' FCC/AOS of Sun Moon Orchids and I do not find reference in the network.
    With which name this registered this hybrid???

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

This is not a hybrid but an outcross of two unrelated cultivars of roths. I have seen it made with 'Rex' as the pod parent, not sure if 'MM' was used as pod (although it is reasonable if it were).

It was made by the Orchid Zone and has brought the flower quality of that species to a whole new level. Say what you will about that sanderianum fiasco they had, but these are some spectacular roths...

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Jason, you wouldn't happen to have a pic anywhere handy, would you? One you maybe took at a show or something? I think it would be interesting to see the differences and improvements between this cross and others.

curses!
    it's just not right,
    getting my hopes up by putting a Roth post in
    orchid photos>paph,phrag IN BLOOM
    and no photo.

although, i have heard positive things about Rex x MM,
    but no "reasonably priced" seedlings.
    i'll just have to enjoy whatever photos people post,
    hint hint.

I think the Pod parent was 'Rex'. The paph roths 'Rex' has very large flowers and 'Mont Millais' is very dark and I believe it came from the Eric Young Orchid foundation. A division on this cultivar 'Mont Millais' cost about $7,000.00 US a division from Eric Young Orchid Foundation and there is a waiting list. In general the Paph roth 'Rex' x 'Mont Millais' is a very good cross and I have flowered one a year ago and it was very impressive with four flowers about 11" from petal tip to petal tip. I saw a flower sheath a couple of weeks ago on my roth and can't wait to see it flower again. The plant have a leafspan of 30" and has four growths.

Paphman

Wow!

Julie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

some pics from the 2003 NY show:

a large plant of 'Mont Millais' FCC/AOS itself. note the outstanding color.
    'Mont Millais' itself

the cross was not labeled, but I suspect this plant is one from the 'Rex' x 'MM' lineage. it was quite large if I recall and the color was still quite good.
    roths

this one was not as well-colored, although it's hard to tell with all that flash in the photo. it looks pretty typical for the 'charles e' x 'borneo' lineage, although the parentage was not listed (and could be something else altogether). the 'charles e' x 'borneo' set a new standard for roths in the 80s, if for no other reason than the sheer fertility of that cross.
    roths

now a few pics from the 2004 NY show, both of the 'rex' x ' mm' lineage. both brought in by tokyo orchids (actually just the cut spikes were sent over).

the first is 'moonlight', a very nice flower. couldn't get a good angle to take a photo though.
    'moonlight'

this last one is the best roths I have ever seen, bar none. (granted, I have not seen that many, in the grand scheme of things). dropped my jaw when I saw it. the depth of color on this one is stunning, as shown in part by the sheer amount of mahogany on the petals. I later found out that this cut spike garnered an FCC/AOS.
    'Perfection'

The 'Rex' x 'MM' cross, as mentioned previously, set new standards for the species. It is not even close. People in the know have told me that an average roth from this outcross is better than many of the old awards, with a merely "above-average" example superior to the old FCC's. and the single indicator of how good the best ones are is the sheer number of FCC's granted in recent years to this species. and now these FCC's are being sibbed...

I heard that the cross Paph rothschildianum 'Mont Millais' x 'Val' is also very good and it is a Japanese cross. I wonder if the cultivar is from 'Mont Millais' x 'Val'?

Paphman

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I've got a bottle of 'Jamboree Zebra' x 'Perfection'.

Have any of you guys heard of or seen the Jamboree Zebra?

Paph rothschildianum 'Jamboree Zebra' is made with 'Mont Millais' but the background is probably white instead of yellow and it came from Taiwan. Paph rothschildianum 'Perfection' is made from 'Mont Millais' x 'Val'. The object of the cross of 'Jamboree Zebra' x 'Perfection' is to obtain a white background.

Paphman