Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where go you buy your sphag?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Where go you buy your sphag?

I would love to try this as a medium for a few of my orchids but I can't find any local sources. I hate paying shipping fees so I will stick with my current mix of mediums if I would have to nuy it via the web. I have tried all of the garden centers and hydroponic shops near me. Thanks

Travis

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Travis, the web has a lot of sources and the stuff is super light; ground or parcel post shipping would be minimal for just a bag or two to try out....

Hi Travis! I actually found New Zealand Long Fiber Sphag at my regular garden center. I also order supplies from Kelly's Korner Orchid Supplies in Maine, and they have it. That might be a bit far for you though...

H

Just be sure if you get it from a nursery that it really is sphagnum moss. I've had them tell me that regular or "Spanish" green moss (like top dressing or for crafts) is the same, and it isn't. I almost wish I'd gotten mine online, despite shipping charges, because I almost did. Instead, I didn't want to wait for it to be delivered (a particularly impatient moment) and ended up getting a huge bale, which was all I could find at a local retail specialty nursery. I better love it, because I've got a lifetime supply... But, after I got the huge bale, I acutally saw a small bag at boxstore, of all places. It may not be for everyone or for every orchid, but I am quite pleased so far with my phals. Maybe it's the shade house, maybe it's the sphagnum, maybe it's just that time of year, but for the first time in months, but everything is growing and just "looking" happy.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Beware of the sphagnum moss that boxstore used to sell...it was sphag, but it was some domestic variety from Wisconsin. It's not nearly as good as New Zealand sphag, but I suppose it would be useful in a pinch. But I wouldn't think this stuff would last more than 2 or 3 months...

Thanks for the heads up about HD. The huge bag I got at the high-end specialty garden store wasn't even labeled. I bet it's not from New Zealand...

I use the Wisconsin stuff. The manufacturer is Mosser Lee, and I picked it up at Frank's Nursery.

I've never seen the New Zealand variety in my area. If I come across it, I'll try it. Meanwhile, I haven't had any problems with the domestic stuff, so as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke..."

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

The NZ variety is a very light-colored tan, while the domestic stuff is closer to medium brown. Kind of like chunk light and solid white tuna. Don't get me wrong, I've used the domestic stuff and it's fine. But the NZ stuff is light years better--less extraneous junk in the sphag (depending on supplier), absorbs water much quicker, and lasts longer, which isn't saying much since there is no such thing as long-lasting sphag. I hear the Chilean material is the same sphag species as NZ, but have never used it.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

None of the garden centers or chain stores around here carry it at all, not even the domestic variety. So we were forced to go non-local to buy some--no choice. Predicament, if you really want to use the stuff.

Well, then, maybe I do have NZ sphag... mine's light colored. It was from a very high-end nursery and came in a plain plastic wrapping, no label, from a section in the nursery were they had a bunch of econo-size orchid growing supplies.

If anyone really wants to try some, let me know and I'l be happy to mail you a sample chunk off of what I have -- plenty to try with a couple of plants. I'm telling you, the bale is very tightly packed and it fills a brown paper grocery bag; I've planted all of my 14 phals and I haven't made a dent in the sphagnum; it only takes a big handful to pot one up... so I've got more than I think I'll need for a very long time and I'm happy to share.
    Liz