Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonsai

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Talking Bonsai

Anyone have some advice on growing bonsai trees? I bought one a couple days ago it's a Portulacaria afra or dwarf jade plant

Real Name
    Don Keim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Well watch your watering. Portulacaria are succulent and can rot if watered too much. They will take a fair amount of sun. I am in Indiana and keep them outside during the summer but in dappled shade - no direct sunlight until they have been outside a few weeks. In the fall and through the winter you can keep them on a sunny windowsil or under lights. I have one sitting in my office window - it was a rescue from a big box store. It is literally glued into the pot and soil but it has been growing slowly for the past year and doing fine. I would also be careful fertilizing Portulacaria. Much like many herbs, they are used to poor soil and too much fertilizer could burn their roots. Is it green or variegated? You should post a picture with your questions - much easier to answer that way.
    Good luck with your little guy,
    Don

Real Name
    Andrew
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Hhhmmmm?
    Member's Country Flag

well i have my jade in a small pot. A 2 inch pot with about 2 inches of soil. I find it does well in dry conditions and has turned a tinge of red do to sun exposure. Not really a bad thing. I water it once a week, if that. One time i didnt water it for a month and it wrinkled a bit. It came back with a slow increase in water. Every once in a while when i see new growth from the top ill pinch it off to encourage the kind of shape that i want. Its kinda bushy now and starting to create a bark like stem at the base. I have 3 stalks in one pot. The foliage/ growth is about 2 to 3 times the size of the pot at the moment. I started these from a very small clipping maybe 2 years ago. Seems to be a stress free plant and easy to manage. I havnt had to repot it. Hence the dwarfing effect. Bonsai is a dwarfing technique, not a type of plant or genetics. So keeping it a small pot and trimmed nicely will give you what you want.

Real Name
    Tony
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt alliance and Phals
    Member's Country Flag

Sounds like you've gotten some good advice. Bonsai can be a very interesting hobby. I've been learning about the different techniques for about 40 yrs. now. I suggest you pick up some books on the subject. That should give you some invaluable info. Plus, I've learned over the yrs. and having had MANY failures before successes, that most bonsai thrive on neglect, as long as you don't forget to water them! Good luck with your new little tree.
    Here's a few pics of my P. afta bonsai. 28 and 36 years old, approx.
    Best,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sorry to hijack the post. Anyone with experience on a fukien tea bonsai? I've had mine for about a month and it was doing well until this week. I noticed it had tiny aphids on it. It's sitting in my office on a windowsill, watered every week. I know this plant is sensitive to chemicals so I don't really want to spray it. Are there any natural remedies to kill these suckers (other than introducing ladybugs into the office? hehehe)

Real Name
    Andrew
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Hhhmmmm?
    Member's Country Flag

@Otis226.... you going to make that basil into a bonsai also...lmao...hahaha...very nice bonsai tree...there is a very nice bonsai store around here...wonderful specimen plants ranging from the low hundreds to thousands of dollars....very cool..some are very old....

@Joyce184....i don't know if this is feasible or down your alley but......on some of my garden plants. If i have a bug or beetle problem, I make bug juice. Meaning i take some of the bugs, crush them up and mix them with water....mmmm Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice yummy...then spray the plants....they dont like the taste of their own dead and wont eat your plant..idk ..just a thought

Andrew - Hmm, Would I need a lot of bugs? Does it matter what kind? I have no problems with this but the people in the office might, muahahaha.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

This is Henry (I named him), at least it seems like a him to me Lol.

I think I'm going to look around for some books or just search articles online for how to trim and prune. I have no idea how old he is. He's about six inches tall (estimate).

Henry is on a windowsill that's always open, because we have no air conditioning. It's facing north so there's never direct sunlight. Should I put it in a East facing window instead?

Those trees are amazing Otis!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

@molivia...lol, I felt like my fukien tea needed to be named as well but nothing was jumping out at me at the time I bought it so it remains nameless for now, hehe.

A relative had a large jade for over 20 years so I can't offer any advice on the bonsai form Good luck with Henry!

Real Name
    Andrew
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Hhhmmmm?
    Member's Country Flag

@ joyce...use some of the bugs on the plant.....otherwise i dont think it will work if its a different bug...just a couple with a cup of water....haha granted my garden is larger so i have many more bugs and more to spray.....ive also heard about using tomato leaves instead of the bug juice...tomato leaves are poison to bugs and us...

@ baxter...very nice little Henry...haha. i would say between 4 and 5 years old....tho growing conditions could vary. I keep mine in a west facing window with sun from maybe 4pm to 7pm....cool beans..love the quartz...i put stones in almost all my plants....