Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More than one year and no roots yet!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Gabriel Guerrero-Savage
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums, Cattleyas, Cymb.
    Member's Country Flag

Unhappy More than one year and no roots yet!

I know I can check all the post from others here to get the info I need, but... it's so overwhelming! I've been reading threads for a couple of days and I get distracted! hahaha
    I bought this phal' almost 2 years ago and repotted twice. It looked healthy until now. It's not growing any roots and its leaves are getting thiner and wrinkly. originally (from the store)was potted on sphagnum moss but I switched to bark mix from that same place I bought it. BTW, the special mix for phals it's terrible, it killed some of my plants.
    What can I do to promote root growth? it's a very big plant, I already cut 2 sets of leaves to see if it helps it. it's been in my bathroom for the last 4-5 months, it gets low light and the moisture every time someone showers... I don't water too much, probably once every other week.

Plant 2, no picture: I just noticed today that a different phal' just turned yellow an upper leaf. it took 4 days to happen since I water last time. it's very healthy (I think!) and it has lots of new roots that I can see in its clear pot, it seems like it's turning yellow from the center outward. ...any ideas?? thank you guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Pat
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I started using Super Thrive this past year for root growth and I think it does help specifically with that. I know others use KLN or other products with good results too. I had a pseudobulb on a cattleya that broke off when I was repotting, a single bulb, and I thought it would die but it is hanging under a bench putting out a new growth and very happy. I like to soak/drench a plant that is without roots with 1 or 2 drops of Super Thrive in a gallon of water. I don't use it as a fertilizer but just to promote root growth or for very stressed plants.

I am wondering if your plant could use a bit more light? Umm... is that a root under the leaf peaking out?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

The orchid in the photo is really dark green. I too wonder if it is getting enough light? I also wonder if you are watering enough. Since phal orchids do not have any type of pseudo-bulb, their roots need to remain moist and not dry out completely. Not wet - but damp/ moist.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Gabriel Guerrero-Savage
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks guys. Pat, that root has been there since I bought it and is not growing at all.
    I was told that I should have orchids with this kind of problem on a place with low light! the first year I had it close to a south facing window inside a bag with no results. that's why I sent it to the bathroom. We don't have specialized stores for Orchids here in Oklahoma, so I don't have any options to buy the things I need. when I ask the people from the stores about specific products like the super thrive or systemic pesticides etc, they have no idea what I'm talking about! the only things I'm using for that matter is neem oil, a fungicide 3 in 1 from garden safe and rubbing alcohol... (sight)
    I just put my orchid back in my living room, close to the window and I'll start watering weekly. lets see what happens :/

Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

I, too, along with Bruce, think that your phal. definately needs more light. It should have leaves which are "grass green," not dark green. Otherwise, I, personally think it looks good. Just MY opinion...Betty

Real Name
    Gabriel Guerrero-Savage
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

btw, should I bag this plant? or maybe try to "spag and bag"??? I actually don't know how to do that! IF I spag and bag this one, or a different one, do I have to just place tha plant on top of the moss or do it like I'm potting it??? thanks guys.

Real Name
    mojamoja
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, bromeliads & vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Mabuhay!

If the existing "old" roots are still there and no new root growths are seen try putting your plant upside down. I mean take it out of the pot and then just hang it upside down then just continue your orchid regimen. Putting it upside down will prevent the water from "falling" on the base of the new leaf thus preventing rot and somehow (though not scientifically proven but works for me) encourages new root growth.

JMTC

Real Name
    Gabriel Guerrero-Savage
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Default Update on "More than one year and no roots yet!"

Well guys, I got the phal' out of the pot and found that it had no roots... the one that was peeking out of the medium only had velamen on the part that was showing out of the pot.
    I looked for the information about the 'spag and bag' but I really didn't find anything telling me exactly what to do. only comments saying that it works...
    So I took a clear plastic cup and put some wet sphag. moss on the bottom and I tied my rootless 'chid to a bamboo stick to keep it above the moss not touching it. I placed the cup on a plate with gravel and filled it up with water, then I covered it with a plastic bag... and this is what I got since september 13th
    Name:  P9030732.JPG
Views: 2855
Size:  172.6 KB
    This is how it looked the day I did the change.
    Name:  PA010826.JPG
Views: 5584
Size:  177.3 KB
    Growing new roots...
    Name:  PA040842.JPG
Views: 4027
Size:  144.1 KB
    Even growing a new leaf!! Woohoo!!
    I Have another one in the same conditions and it's doing great!

Real Name
    Gabriela
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Vanda, Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

You have done a great job saving you plant. Congratulations.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Now that is having patience with your orchid! Congrats!

cheers,
    BD