Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Feeding Question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Feeding Question

Like most people, I have 2 types of orchid fertilizer. One for root growth, the other for blooms. What will happen if I mix half portions of each in a gallon of water. How will the orchids react to both high concentration of nitrogen and phosphorous in the same feed ? For Catts, will this mess up their blooming cycles ? Will this freak out the plants ? If mixing is a bad idea, can someone tell me why ?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I have heard of people who do mix them together... however I would think that would dilute the effectiveness of the bloom fert. But I really don't know. I keep them separate, because when it's growing season for a plant I want to encourage lots of growth. Then when it is time for budding or spiking to start, I switch to bloom. (If I remember)

Real Name
    Aaron
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Schomburgkia/Mymecophila
    Member's Country Flag

I have also heard of people mixing the two, but do not know what their results are. I personally alternate week to week, and seem to get great results in both growth, and bloom.

I have mixed 1/2 & 1/2 grow & bloom.
    Basically you just get a balanced fert.
    From what i,ve read & seen myself lowering the nitrogen levels has more of an effect than upping the phosphorus.
    For most of my plants i don't change the fert (i do use less in the cooler months) all through the year.My fert levels are low even during the summer( except for my cymbidiums & 1 ascocenda) with a max of about 100 PPM of nitrogen.
    Apparantley if the ph of your fert mix is above 7 the amount of phosphorous the plant can absorb is very reduced.
    Like most things to do with orchids the deeper you look into the culture the more the complexity .

Fertilizing adds salts into the water you're using. Orchids need some fert, but some genera, sub-genera and species can be very sensitive to higher salt concentrations and you can burn the leaves and roots badly if you're not careful.

Adding two different ferts at normal strength would risk burning. The adage is weekly fert once a week weakly 1/4-1/2 the recommended strength. If you're combining ferts, use half that concentration, because the salts are cumulative.

I'd suggest choosing the most appropriate fert for what you're trying to accomplish. Higher nitrogen is necessary for plants grown in bark during plants' off season. I grow primarily in sphag and I like balanced root/leaf/flower growth, so I use a balanced fert year round. It's also easier, and that counts for something!

Julie

Great info. Thanks to all.

Hi I have learned to use 1/4 strength and flush out the palnt once every 5 weeks or so if it is not too cold or humid. I alternate the foods and foliar feed when I do not feed the orchid mix/soil.
    I find it is best for my growing habitat or micro climate I try to creat here for the plants. deLadyBex