Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Mystique Phalaenopsis Orchid dying??

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

Good move! Orchids are not hard to maintain aslong as you follow their individual care needs. Most are epiphytes ( live in and on trees and the roots cling to the tree bark for support). They are not parasites. Allow your roots to breathe, opening up the media, while providing the humidity and dont let the pot become too wet or roots will rot in the decaying bark/ moss. privide sufficient light applicable to the individual needs. Your good to go. Overwatering is the most common error for killing orchids. have a look at how they grow in wild, youll notice that the roots are not submerged in media, but open to cature raindrops and the nutrition content as the rain runs down trees picking up organic humus etc and washes over the roots. The orchids absorb what they can and when so you can see why they rot in pots. Some are ground growing (terrestrial) like paphiopedilum and different approach to care is required. Anything that seems out of the ordinary with your plants - research it or ask.

You will find great pleasure in growing your orchids. Enjoy

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

The "Blue Mystique" is not meant to be an orchid grower's plant.
    It is meant for people who want to display cut flowers, but keep the flowers vibrant longer than cut flower.
    Once the flowers fade, they would throw away the plant or give it to someone who would desperately try to keep it alive.

Only the current flowers will be blue. If you manage to keep the plant alive, future blooms will not be blue.
    If there is enough residual "blue juice" in the plant, then the next blooms will be white with blue splotches. It will look like someone with leftover watercolor decided to color parts of the flower.

The blue tint is due to a special dye infused into the plant while it was in the nursery, so that the flowers are dyed blue from the inside.
    (Would you buy a dog/cat/bird/fish that is dyed with artificial color from the inside?)

If you want to get an orchid plant that you can keep long term and bloom regularly every season, get a healthy normal plant. Avoid these gimmick fake blues and other dyed flowers.

If you want a blue orchid flower that you can display for a long time, get a plastic one. It is cheaper and easier to maintain than the expensive fake blue ones.

And on a personal note, I think the blue tint is tacky.

Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

Insist on the refund! Raise holy heck with them!!.Shame on anyone selling this crap to people. Sorry you were taken in by this one.

Real Name
    Cassandra
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phals, tolumnia
    Member's Country Flag

My husband bought me one from a BBS for our anniversary just because he thought it was pretty-- he had no idea it was dyed. Mine wasn't in the best shape either, some root rot, but I repotted it immediately and it's very happy at the moment. I know it won't bloom blue again (and my hubby was sad to find this out...it is his favorite color) but I assured him it's special regardless of the color because he was thinking of me . I have seen so many absolutely gorgeous orchids that are naturally gorgeous all by themselves...I won't buy from a BBS again- it's too dangerous-- they have no idea how to care for them. But find an orchid vendor or orchid society nearby and you will be amazed what catches your eye and your heart take other members' advice though- the BBSs really hike the price up on this dyed type of orchid and have no clue how sick they are ... Get a refund and find something healthy and naturally beautiful to brighten your home

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Benitezn09 View Post
    Thank you everyone I am recently buying orchids i have always loved them but never dared buying them because i heard they were hard to mantain... So i finally gave in i currently have 2( not blue) and i went to the store and got a refund bought a very beautiful orchid for half the price of the blue one!!! THanks everyone
    Oh, thank goodness - I was afraid you might want another blue one - if you did, I was going to suggest you buy a silk one this time - won't die on you, and it's just as fake as the "Mystique."

We'd love to see pictures of your replacement!

Maura