Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Mystique Phalaenopsis Orchid dying??

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Unhappy Blue Mystique Phalaenopsis Orchid dying??

Hi,
    I purchased this blue phalanopsis at boxstore a couple of days ago it was so pretty but now all of the leaves have fallen off and the stem is starting to turn brown which is so scary because i have been trying to take care of it but i dont know what i am doing wrong. does anybody have any suggestions??

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag

First of all, you do know these are grotesquely ugly right? And it will not EVER bloom blue again? These are honestly horrid abominations.

It sounds as if you have been watering from the top? And have got water in the crown (where the leaves all appear from). This is a death sentence for phals, because the water will sit there and fungi and whatnot will attack the drowned parts of the plant (meaning the crown with the water in it). This causes the leaves to slowly drop off, and the stem to go all mushy. Yum! Pretty much, there is nothing you can do to save it, apart from buy another one!

But it sounds as if the staff at the store caused this, especially if you have only had it a couple of days.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

PS/ it looks as if it never had leaves....thats one sick plant
    Last edited by kiwiorchids; October 8th, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

From the extent of the problem you describe, your Blue Mistake is not dying, it is dead, as well as dyed. If it really has only been a couple days since you bought it the fault is not yours unless you microwaved your plant or stored it in the freezer. Careless or excessive watering at the store has caused crown and/or root rot. The flowers may last a few days yet but the plant is a goner. Any reputable retailer should replace the plant or refund your money, whether they admit fault or not.

Real Name
    Pat
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Hello,

Maybe you can get a refund? It is a shame some of these stores don't care if they sell sick or dying plants and I know you must be disappointed. Don't give up though. I am sure you will find another one you like, and then another and another and another

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

If you cannot get an exchange for the plant, then get it out of the pot and check the roots. If it has roots that are viable, you might be able to save it with the sphag and bag technique.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    If you cannot get an exchange for the plant, then get it out of the pot and check the roots. If it has roots that are viable, you might be able to save it with the sphag and bag technique.

cheers,
    BD
    There's no harm in trying of course, but the healthiest roots are no good if the stem is dead. With ALL the leaves falling off in a couple days the rot is likely in all of the stem.

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

Insist on a refund or just put this poor thing out of its misery. Careless retail thats all. I hope the shop didnt have a ton of these and sold them encouraging the original source to provide more! It s a dead one, even the blooms on the spike itself are barely clinging on to a scrap of life.

The reason these paticular specimens are so disapproved of Benitez is that they are artificially dyed through the cell membranes of the plant and this apparently is a good idea?????????? Orchid species and hybrids are in the own right so beautiful and diverse and dont need to be customized in this way. They offend orchid lovers, not the plant itself but the sheer commercial novelty gimmick that destroys the very heart and sole of an orchid and its carer. Go and treat yourself to one of the huge array of hybrids out there or more daringly purchase a species orchid if your up to the challenge. It will take a long time for the plant to regenerate and thats only a very very slight chance but its up to you. If you do succeed the plant will reveal its true identity and true colours!

Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

From what I can see in the picture, there are no leaves. Between that and the spike turning brown, I would say it is a goner. Go back to the store for a refund. Most of us here do not like these, but I hope you do realize that they have been dyed. It is not a truly blue flower. This one is in VERY poor health and will probably not make it. If it does, it will be years before you see blooms and they will be white when you do.

Real Name
    Jennevie Shih
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis, Vanda, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Poor plant! Feels bad in seeing the plant is dyed...demand for a refund and show them the look of the plant just after a couple of days...

Thank you everyone I am recently buying orchids i have always loved them but never dared buying them because i heard they were hard to mantain... So i finally gave in i currently have 2( not blue) and i went to the store and got a refund bought a very beautiful orchid for half the price of the blue one!!! THanks everyone