Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full sun

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Full sun

I've been pondering this for a while--

I live in Los Angeles and grow my orchids outdoors. Most of them live in a little wood-frame structure covered by 50% shade cloth. It works fine, although it's not so great for displaying blooming plants.

But I do have two orchids that do great in full sun all day long along with the other garden plants--specifically Epidendrum radicans and Bletilla striata.

Now I know the vast majority of orchids can't take full sun, but I was curious if anybody knows of any others that can. I've heard that Schomburgkia tibicinis and Brassavola tuburculata are able to do this, and possibly Cattleya guttata, although I don't own any of those.

Any other suggestions?

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Any of the terete vandas need at least 5 hours of full sun at your latitude and can't do without it if they're going to bloom. Typical species are V. teres and V. hookeriana. The semi-terete hybrids don't need quite as much, but can definitely be acclimated to it, so any of those would work for you if you don't mind how big they get.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Schnozzle -

Outdoors, eh? Do you heat it in the winter? Here in T Oaks we get at least one night a year where it freezes... So my babies are all indoors. But if you get away with it - - -

Terete vandas, that's right, I forgot about them...

As for freezing temperatures, we haven't had a winter yet where it gets quite that low where I am. So far the lowest we've had (I've been here since 2001) is lower 40's. Not that it won't happen, it just hasn't done it yet. So far I haven't lost any plants that way.

Quote Originally Posted by LJA
    Any of the terete vandas need at least 5 hours of full sun at your latitude and can't do without it if they're going to bloom. Typical species are V. teres and V. hookeriana. The semi-terete hybrids don't need quite as much, but can definitely be acclimated to it, so any of those would work for you if you don't mind how big they get.
    Yeah, size is not much of an issue to me if they don't have to be under cover from the sun. My Epi. radicans gets pretty tall... C. guttata is pretty huge, I think, and I believe Schomburgkia tibicinis has a very long inflorescence.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Hmmm build small structure on patio + cover with shade cloth = ROOM FOR MORE ORCHIDS Whooo Hooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane
    Hmmm build small structure on patio + cover with shade cloth = ROOM FOR MORE ORCHIDS Whooo Hooo!
    Yeah, like I said, I already have one of those. Remember, this is all theoretical at this point; I don't own any plants (apart from the ones I mentioned above) that would fit the 'full-sun' category at the moment--well, possibly Tetramicra canaliculata?

At any rate, for reasons that are too obscure/boring to go into now, having more plants outside of a structure would give me more growing space and would permit the use of an automatic watering system, whereas currently I water the plants under shade cloth by hand.

Just assume, for the sake of this thread, that I'm interested in trying a couple of plants under full sun--when I want more space under shade cloth I'll just build a larger structure.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

No, No, - - I meant I'd build one and get more growing room... LJA would like that too..... eh, Louis? ;-)

Ah, I see.

Well, perhaps I'll try out a few of the suggested plants and see what happens. If anyone knows of others, I'd like to hear about them...

Default Full Sun

I had a B.digbyana growing in full sun, 5+ hours a day. It after 3 years and two nice blooms died.It appeared as though a boring insect made home in it. Well I have a new one started, the thing about growing in full sun for this plant is it first goes through a burn, you will see the black spots associated with sun burn. The plant will sulk for the rest of the growing season.On the next new growths they will be purple or purple tinged, and not get as big,they may or may not bloom.Now on the second year of full sun it will do as a digbyana should.......Plants in Mexico grow on rock,full sun and Bloomerrific! Things to keep in mind...quick drain fast dry frequent water. I recommend Plastic pot with alaflore,or mount. Reduce fertilizer.I also have L.anceps in full sun,mounted on a vertical log that was planted near the ground and is "climbing" up the log. I put it on the shady side and it is now in its second year.It has surprised me with blooms in the first year,again just this may. It is taking off! B.nodosa....can anyone say enough of this plant? Get one if River Valley Orchid Works does not have it Find it this is the ultimate follows same pattern as digbyana but rebounds from sulking in first year! These are three that are working for me in full sun.Things to keep in mind...quick drain fast dry frequent water. I recommend Plastic pot with alaflore,or mount. Reduce fertilizer.

Peace!
    Kriss