Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 73 gallon Orchidarium Build Help and advise welcome :)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Quan
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    compact catts, masdevallias
    Member's Country Flag

Neostylis would work!
    They are mini plants and very fragrant.
    Also Howera ( whatever the name changed to, not following the RHS...)
    Howera Lava Burst and frequent bloomer and a mini too, those are just my suggestions...
    Good Luck! ( awesome terrarium you've there.
    Alex

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

I recommend the Dendrobates Azureus dartfrog and the golden Mantellas, they look wonderful in planted terraria and you dont need to worry a bout a pool/ pond area. Mantellas drown easy but darts take full advantage of the mini pools in the bracts of bromeliads. Both easy to feed with a home breeding programme for fruitfly/ 1 instar crickets etc.

Do pay particular attention to air circulation. so try not to overcrowd although is to easy to do so, and dramatic fluctuations in temps with the lights etc. I also do recommend highly establishing the terraria for 12-18 months first b4 amphibians are introduced. Again air flow is important to prevent saturated stagnant conditions. Water in funnels and bracts of bromeliads easily go stagnant and smell bad also causing rot probs. Some tillandsia also perish easy so investigate abit.

As for orchids the vining vanilla ideal but wise choices definetly for others. waters logged in leaf axils, bracts, sheaths, crowns kill orchids quick. Great effforts will reward you but first will be a few learning curves and trials-errors. Bondsai suppliers sell moss spores, while ficus pumila is an all too pleasing creeper with a tropical feel. Promoting the mini eco system within will serve you well. Asplenium ferns and research tropical epiphytes - planting direct in substrate will likely rot epiphyte orchid roots so a happy medium with epiphyte orchids will be better off mounted/ affixed bare. Allow the period of acclimatising to process and the roots to seek support and moisture source.

The soon to be design, planning/ arrangement that you are shortly due to commence can be step by step following advice/ experience of others. However as far as care approach goes, it is same as our open grow areas. What works for one will differ considerably to the next person. Many diff. key environmental factors exist that determine what indivduals can and cant do and theses dictate our choices. Your environmental conditions will differ in one way or many ways to anyone else even if some factors are similar.

i planted a 6ft x 3ft x 2ft all glass terrarium as a natural tropical scape half land half pool with branches situ randomly. Many plants hated it! Fans were fitted, the reptile grow lights, temps were fine.

Not intending to house ampphibians/ you can keep slightly drier! Any advice given to you or you have found will require adjustments/ improvisation and opinions and facts aplenty, only you will get to know the details. Look forward to your photo progress.

Real Name
    daniel
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by walingwaling View Post
    Hi Daniel,
    yes, until it starts growing for a couple of hundred meters...
    hi Waling
    a elec. extention cord 25 feet long does not take that much room roll up
    LoL
    i have this one since 3 to 4 year now it not that 100 meter

Real Name
    Dr Denis Wang
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Beallara Ruth Carpenter
    Member's Country Flag

I have an all glass similar orchidarium, doing very well. My only advice is a good fan within for continuous air circulation. My humidity is usually 70 to 80 percent so a fan is essential. Good luck with your project!