Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Update on my post-vacation grow area

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Default Update on my post-vacation grow area

First of all, thanks to everyone who weighed in on the rather strange situation I THOUGHT I was going to be facing. For those of you who suggested more shelving, please be advised that I actually have shelving and growlights for all that wall space - I just was in the process of moving stuff around, but not to worry.....

My predicament has been completely resolved; instead of having to set up criteria for which orchids to keep and which to donate, a closer examination of the condition of my plants when I got them back revealed that more than half of them were already rotting through, another 10 were infested with some kind of white fly insect, and the rest have a variety of different funguses that they may or may not survive. I've already tossed several of my beloved rescued catts, a number of oncids and brassias, and my AOS Miltassia is in critical condition. I've done a fair bit of ranting and raving about incompetence, negligence, disloyalty, etc since I started unpacking the plants and getting ready to put them back where they were late last night - but only to myself and Phillip.

Enough of the righteous indignation routine for me - it just makes me more upset. I'm working on acceptance and being open to finding out how this experience will further influence my orchid journey. One nice thing that has come out of it is that I SOSed a nursery owner I respect and admire about the Miltassia, and he has very freely and kindly agreed to take on the challenge of keeping it alive. I have faith that, if it's salvageable, he can and will do it - how fortunate I am to have come across just the right person at the exact right time! I'm shipping it to him express tomorrow, so he'll have it by Monday, and that gives me such a comforting sense of relief.

I suppose that, since everything happens for a reason, this too will lead to better things - have to win another AOS award, at the very least! I won't dwell on this tough situation, but I wanted to let everyone know where things stand right now - I'll be rebuilding instead of deconstructing. The destruction caused in 5 weeks is hard to believe, so I've included a picture of my Miltassia as it looked today. And then I have to move on, because this has upset me far more than I ever would have believed. I'll be looking for the lessons as I recover from the shock.... And knowing y'all are out there and probably understand how I feel makes all the difference in the world to me. Thanks for being a refuge from this particular storm -

Time to sleep now - tomorrow is a new day.

Maura

Today:

Name:  OTsickMiltassia.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  59.9 KB

5 weeks ago:

Name:  miltroyalclose.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  miltroyalcascade.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  miltroyalfull.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  60.6 KB

Real Name
    Li
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum. Duh!
    Member's Country Flag

Poor miltassia. I was wondering how it lost that many leaves within such a short period. Hope it gets well soon.

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag

;( *sniff sniff* poor thing! It is a sad day when you discover your prized plant has succumed! I was sad when mine did too

But keep strong dear Maura! It is the least you can do!

Real Name
    Dee Dixon
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    They are so BEAUTIFUL I can't
    Member's Country Flag

OMG, I am so sorry for you. Wish I could help.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Oh Maura, terrible news. I hope with a repot you can bring that miltassia back. Orchids are tough. We are all pulling for you!!

cheers,
    BD

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Bummer.

In an effort to add a positive note, everything is new again now, yes? You will have new plants to look forward to. Time to look at 'tweaking' your set up for the future. Even time to consider what types of orchids you wish to focus upon as you rebuild.

Real Name
    Jose
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

WOW! So sorry Maura. The miltassia will recover, I know. Have you considered a greenhouse? Now would be a nice time to start again. Wish I could be nearer to help you.
    Two years ago, during a hurricane. a tree fell over my greenhouse and I lost a lot of plants. Some bloomed beautifully before going to orchid heaven.
    I moved them to my parents and they are doing fine but I really felt sad for the ones I lost. Now I am making plans to build 2 new ones where the other was. Move on!
    Jose

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks so much, everyone. I have no idea how this "friend" could have done so much damage in such a small amount of time. I am about to send the Miltassia FedEx to a true gentleman and orchid genius back in the Northeast, and trust him to take every measure needed to restore it. Not only has he agreed to do it, he has enthusiastically accepted the challenge and made me feel pretty special - I'd only met him once.

And I've already begun to rebuild my collection. I have a Pot. Little Fortune in bloom, a big pink floofy catt just opening, and a new Maudiae alba. The phoenix rises from the ashes!

Maura

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

sorry about that but in the same time you found your new friend who can help you.i wish your orchid will recovery and come back soon/kitty