Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Forum Version

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Default New Forum Version

The next major udpate (as opposed to minor maintenance release) of vBulletin is going to be released for public beta sometime this week. (This is the rumor, anyway.)

If I updated OrchidTalk to the beta with all of its new, cool features, would you guys be willing to possibly put up with a few bugs that you could tell me about here, or would you rather wait and keep things the same until the new version is officially released?

I'm not sure. I hate bugs, but like new stuff. How long would we have to wait until some of the kinks might be worked out? I think I'm going to vote NO for right now. Sorry.

It isn't a real foot stomping NO though. I could be persuaded.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Really Really cool ? I am for new stuff , bring it on ! As long as it is kind to my vanishing grey matter aww come on Kev it will only hurt a little bit ... lol Gin

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

No apologies necessary--I wasn't going to just throw it on here and see what kind of hell would break loose...

I'm going to set it up as a test board first anyway since there are lots of changes internally I'm going to have to figure out, so I'll get to play regardless...

Still, it *is* a beta version, and things will more than likely crop up on a live installation that I can't test for.

I have no way of determining how quickly any issues that are found would be fixed, so can't answer that.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

I want cool new stuff please... and if the only problem is the disappearing spellcheck well... I won't be fussed...

Cheers
    T

ps. in the new version, will there be smell posts? oooh for the smell of those bulbos...

Louis,

What's your roll-back ability, should the new version be riddled with cyber-mealies?

I have a decent glitch tolerance for testing new revs, but can imagine that many don't. Sounds like it's an all-or-nothing deal and that you can't set up a segregated test forum for the intrepid few...

Julie

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Rollback--hmm. Good question. I won't be able to know until I actually see the thing and can evaluate database structure, but believe me, if it looks at all like rollback would be next to impossible and we'd lose too much if it had to be done, I'll just wait till official release to change us over. I'm thinking there would only be a few minor issues that could easily be worked around--they've been testing this for quite some time and have been running the alpha version on their site for a month now, so I don't imagine they'll release a public beta until they're pretty convinced that any possible major issues have already been resolved.

I want to change my vote. I don't want to be the only one against change. I love change. Bring it on.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Vote changed; we're now 7 to nothing.

Um...er...I'd trust your judgement once you played with it Louis. Many a big software manufacturer has rushed a revision to market with inadequate testing to the woe of their users.

If you can roll back, I'm sure we can all tolerate a little pain. If you can't easily, you might want to wait some before you rush in, or at least talk with beta clients with a config similar to yours. They'll happily tell you their pain points.

Spare us needless suffering, but if it looks clean, we'll tough out any minor glitches without too much bitching!

Julie