Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dendrobium Kingianum root stopped growing

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Almost all species...
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by HHLL38 View Post
    I might not mind that.

When would the keikis appear?
    If you don't give it a propriate winter rest, the plant will produce keikis in spring instead of flower. This species grows pretty fast, so I would not encourage keiki growths even if I want more than one plant. The individual fragrant flower may not be long-lasting but some may last near a month.

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-19951 View Post
    Misting or watering at night fall will cause fungal and bacterial disease. Experienced growers do let the plants dry-out before night fall.

Yes, Den. kingianum needs winter rest to bloom well. I am surprised that you haven't heard about it since you live pretty close to its native home. Google around if you don't have a good book or enough growing experience with this species...
    Rest period:...In cultivation, water should be greatly reduced from midautaumn until growth resumes in spring. Plants should be allowed to dry out between waterings, but they should not remain dry for prolonged periods. Australian growers recommend just enough water in winter so the pseudobulbous stem do not become shriveled. Fertilizer should be reduced or eliminated when water is reduced. Growers indicate that distinct seasonal variation is essential for plant health.--Orchid Species Culture--Dendrobium by Margaret L. Baker and Charles O. Baker
    Not even the aussie guys in the society rest them, and most of them have acheived CCC, AD and FCC awards with their plants.

Real Name
    Tom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Almost all species...
    Member's Country Flag

LOL! I'm speaking from my own experience and the Bakers is the most reputable source for Dendrobium species culture. Google and see who else give kingianum a cooler and drier winter rest.

I would like to hear from the aussie guys from your society too. {edit: If they will post(by them) a photo or two of their award winning plants, it will help to prove the point also.}

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

LOL! I'm speaking from my own experience and the Bakers is the most reputable source for Dendrobium species culture. Google and see who else give kingianum a cooler and drier winter rest.

I would like to hear from the aussie guys from your society too.
    thats if they know how to use the internet....lol

Real Name
    Tom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Almost all species...
    Member's Country Flag

LOL! That is so... Kiwi boy, you have nothing to prove/back-up what you have said.

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

LOL! That is so... Kiwi boy, you have nothing to prove/back-up what you have said.
    So? I have my techniques, along with other people too, and they are tried and true for this part of the world anyway. I am just giving the info that i have and use, and not going with the general rules or flow. I have my own way of doing things, so please dont tell me they are wrong, especially when they work for me.

Real Name
    Tom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Almost all species...
    Member's Country Flag

LOL! Kiwi boy, you are accumulating your knowledge and experiences on orchid, and you are doing quite well considered your young age, but you are far from so called experienced orchid grower... right or wrong, I think people will have their own judgement.

PS, take any culture advice with a grain of salt, especially from those new growers.(this is not for you, Kiwi boy and don't be so sensitive.) Also, unsound advice can cause other people's money.

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

LOL! Kiwi boy, you are accumulating your knowledge and experiences on orchid, and you are doing quite well considered your young age, but you are far from so called experienced orchid grower... right or wrong, I think people will have their own judgement.

PS, take any culture advice with a grain of salt, especially from those new growers.(this is not for you, Kiwi boy and don't be so sensitive.) Also, unsound advice can cause other people's money.
    o for god sakes! Enough of the attacking please? I can see it, however subtle it is. Like i said, my methods work well for me, and they have come from other far more accomplished growers (some of whom have been growing for almost 60 years, starting at a young age), and like i said, i dont need you, or anyone else to tell me how i should or shouldnt grow my own orchids, when i use things that work in my environment. I am only giving the advice i have been given in the past, and advice that works.

In short, i have been growing long enough to know what does and doesnt work for me.

Real Name
    Tom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Almost all species...
    Member's Country Flag

For god sakes, Kiwi boy. Attacking? You are far more thin skinned than I thought. No one is attacking anyone, but do expect someone may call you out for the basis of your opinion/advice when your "technique" is "not going with general rules or flow".

Real Name
    Sam
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Neofinetia Falcata
    Member's Country Flag

Well, that was.... lively.

I think i'll reduce watering a little since it has seemed to slow down and I wont fertilize at least until the days get a little longer.

Thank you both.