Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Paphiopedilum Dividing

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Sam
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Neofinetia Falcata
    Member's Country Flag

Default Paphiopedilum Dividing

I have a hybrid Paph. that I feel is ready to divide, does anyone have a video or can give me instructions on how to do so?

I've never divided anything other than a very obviously overgrown Oncidium that sort of divided itself.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by HHLL38 View Post
    I have a hybrid Paph. that I feel is ready to divide, does anyone have a video or can give me instructions on how to do so?

I've never divided anything other than a very obviously overgrown Oncidium that sort of divided itself.

Thanks in advance.
    Better post up a photo of the plant in question. When a slipper orchid is truly large enough to divide, it two presents an easy way to divide. You want to be careful to not divide a plant that is too young. Slipper orchids use the old growth that has bloomed before as a food source for the developing new growth. If you divide and take away the food source, you will likely not get blooms for quite some time.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Sam
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Neofinetia Falcata
    Member's Country Flag

Perhaps in that case it is not ready to divide, it has two mature growths, the first of which is blooming and a new growth that I thought may take well to being by itself.

However, hearing that it may sacrifice blooming is not something i'm interested in, love this plants flowers!

Thanks for the advice Bruce!

I always leave at least three growths with a division. If the plant appears to be too large for it's pot, then you may wish to pot up to a larger size. Being Paphs are kept constantly moist, they need to be repotted yearly, maximum ever other year for the medium breaks down fairly quickly in a constant moist environment. I usually recommend repotting as new growth is developing for this will guarantee that the new growth will establish. Personally, I have too many plants to follow my advice and repot a large percentage of my collection in late winter or early spring. I have yet to lose a Paph from repotting.

I gently squeeze the plastic pot and dump the medium into a tub on the potting bench. While holding the plant, a few gentle shakes will remove most of the medium. I may need to hand pick out some remaining pieces. I then remove any old growth that is no longer needed, and do any divisions if warranted. I chose a pot that will leave enough room for two years growth. I position the old growths near the outside rim of the pot giving the new lead space for future growth. I fill the pot with pre-moistened new medium. I mark the back of the tag with "P" and the current month and year, so I know when the plant was last repotted. A thorough watering and back to the bench it goes.