Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: phalaenopsis easy??!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Glenn
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    n/a
    Member's Country Flag

They are beautiful, top dressing sounds like a good idea also. Thank you

Real Name
    Quan
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    compact catts, masdevallias
    Member's Country Flag

For me, I water every once and a week and they seem fine, just when you water them, make sure that no water is in the crown, that's how I killed my first one. I grow in about 63-68 at winter so they'll spike, and in the summer the house is 68-74. I think Phal. are the easiest for ME, I envy the Vanda and catt pros...
    Mine spike once or twice a year. The only bad thing is my spikes tend to get longtail mealybugs.
    I have them because I once had a lily pond in the house. But then I forgot to change the water for 3 weeks and the larvae hatched, that when my HUGE mealybug invasion started. After 3 years, I still have them But I can get rid of them for a while
    Good Luck to you guys!
    Alex

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

Is it possible to give phals too much light? Mine are all under a grow light now (at one time were near a huge window with lots of natural but not direct light). I wish I had the space to set something up in my basement for the winter to get them to spike... guess I just hope I get lucky one of these days!

Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

You can tell if they are getting the exact amount of light they need by the color of their leaves. The leaves should be a bright "grass green." When they start to get tiny purple spots, they are getting too much light. Dark green means they are not getting enough light.

Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwoStems View Post
    Is it possible to give phals too much light? Mine are all under a grow light now (at one time were near a huge window with lots of natural but not direct light). I wish I had the space to set something up in my basement for the winter to get them to spike... guess I just hope I get lucky one of these days!
    It is easy to get them to spike. I set mine outdoors September to early October in a protected spot so they don't get rain in their crowns. During that period the temps drop to the mid to low 50's at night. After they are out for 2 or 3 weeks I bring them in and they start spiking right away. Some seem to do it almost over night. As far as light goes any East window or under lights gives them enough.

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

light wise, the apple green is the best objective and with using lights myself and mainly east part south facing window often some leaves can develop a reddish tinge to the perimeter of the leaf. Too less light, while not bad, will add too the factors that go against possible spiking achievements. That 'reddish' tinge is something i opt to tolerate!!!!!! as for me its better in my little orchid corner of the world.

High humidity is a must must must for phals. Finding that line between h.h and compromising air circ is a difficult one to balance but not that difficult as some percieve. Your little orchid growing corner of the world, like mine will never be super ideal for the range you choose so dont waste your time trying to obtain greenhouse perfect - something has to give - like me with the 'reddish' tinge. Tried growing like 'vandas in vases'- great for root but a pain to keep that crown angled down bracts and all.

I admire the concept quoted recently of 'growing in sphag, but never pot watered, moisture obtained from timely saturated humid air'. I admire it because it closes minds but also helps free others to scrutinise and self analyze phal culture around the world.This helps understand phals. Finished with 'fertilizer' and 'shading'. Phals are greedy but avoid 30.10.10, keep the first number lower (i use 301010 cos thats what all my plants get but alter for phal centered care)., and the shading due to commercial greenhouse in tropical sunny climate. Shading for cooler temps not just less exposure. there are many simple climate control apparatus to get those must cooler nights. many members who post from tropical places struggle blooming phals due to hinderance of cool nights. often openely and freely admitted.

Where you live determines best outlook on phals. Here in UK we have to be careful not to get icicles forming in little draughty frost pockets so all in all cool nights are quite easy. But there lies a big danger already - cool and humid = damp/ cold = might aswell throw the damn plant off a cliff than let it rot to pathogens = but wait that damn plant is an orchid and i love orchids = buy a fan and plug it into a timer and plug it into a wall = phew! - well actaually not 'phew! - it takes ages to balance an equation that ends in many trials and errors. Cool nights and high humidity - who thought that was easy?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????? cos it isnt!

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

actually that has given me an excellent idea taking advantage of a loop hole in the market and making my million. I will call phals 'frozen plants' and market them as 'easy' with only one essential requirement of care - apply 1 "sq ice cube" to surface of media twice weekly and brainwash people into thinking this is scientifically viable for a tropical plant. To add a thrill of excitement to the new gullible growers ignorance inject stems of guaranteed spikes with blue dye to add a finish of loveliness completely removing the plant of its revolting true identity. no? Anyone thought of this, it will require a considerable amount of capital to cover this island, if possible can someone buy into the franchise over in the US. ............................. i know sarcasm exists more widely than just me a brit as we have Pavel.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by opaline View Post
    actually that has given me an excellent idea taking advantage of a loop hole in the market and making my million. I will call phals 'frozen plants' and market them as 'easy' with only one essential requirement of care - apply 1 "sq ice cube" to surface of media twice weekly and brainwash people into thinking this is scientifically viable for a tropical plant. To add a thrill of excitement to the new gullible growers ignorance inject stems of guaranteed spikes with blue dye to add a finish of loveliness completely removing the plant of its revolting true identity. no? Anyone thought of this, it will require a considerable amount of capital to cover this island, if possible can someone buy into the franchise over in the US. ............................. i know sarcasm exists more widely than just me a brit as we have Pavel.
    bahaha.....

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Mark
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and Paphiopedium
    Member's Country Flag

I actually grow my Phals in some pretty low humidity and rather bright light. I also use a rather chunky mix, medium fir bark with charcoal and perlite, and water every few days. So far, I'm having pretty good success with them and have gotten some blooms...much better than when I used a denser mix and less light.

So my stratagy is ....Bright light, open mix, and tons of water.

Real Name
    Quan
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    compact catts, masdevallias
    Member's Country Flag

I guess my phals do really well because the house has a steady temperature because I grow inside. It is about 65-70 all year...
    Alex