Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a phrag, have I lost my mind?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Stacie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Wow bob...that is persistence! Congrats on your
    Ong awaited bloom : )

Real Name
    Ed
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph. fairrieanum
    Member's Country Flag

Hi. Your Phrags can be watered every day when they will receive the oxygen they need to survive, from the fresh water. Please go very easily on the fert because Phrags are not heavy feeders. I keep all my phrags and a few paphs on a continual water supply. The paphs that are watered too much will develop root rot (soggy and soft) but surprisingly my paphs on continual watering are doing great. IMO they survive because the continual supply of H2O doesn't allow any salt build up or stagnation to develop in the media. I'm sure people more experienced than me can find faults with this system---- but what works doesn't need fixing' The very best of luck to you and may all your efforts produce some beautiful blooms.

Ed

Real Name
    Stacie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Update: I did get a humidifier, and a hygrometer/thermometer. I have been experimenting a bit. I managed to get the humidity up to 60%, with the ceiling fan on low. I have been testing temp and light throughout my home, to find the right fit. The humidity drops the temp quite a bit (its a cool mist), but now I want the temps a bit higher during the day. I am sure the summer weather will provide that easily in a month or two. Having way too much fun with my little science experiments. I thought I might post a pic soon. Maur...my paph is in bud, but I am curious to see how long it will take for it to actually open! the waiting and wondering are making me crazy!

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

It sounds good to me Stacie. Your on your way to some beautiful blooms with more to come. AL

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stacierew View Post
    Update: I did get a humidifier, and a hygrometer/thermometer. I have been experimenting a bit. I managed to get the humidity up to 60%, with the ceiling fan on low. I have been testing temp and light throughout my home, to find the right fit. The humidity drops the temp quite a bit (its a cool mist), but now I want the temps a bit higher during the day. I am sure the summer weather will provide that easily in a month or two. Having way too much fun with my little science experiments. I thought I might post a pic soon. Maur...my paph is in bud, but I am curious to see how long it will take for it to actually open! the waiting and wondering are making me crazy!
    This is really fun, Stacie - it's like watching myself just a little time ago. By the way, any of your windows that get some sun will warm up during the day (and the closer to the window the warmer it gets) and drop at night. And I love my hygrometer - I move it around inside my living room to check on "micro-climates" - you'd be surprised how just a few feet can make a difference.

As for your paph in bud - I forgot what kind it is, forgive me, but paphs are notoriously slow in opening - I mean weeks - not days. That said, they reward you by looking great for the better part of 2 months or more after they bloom. I love them for that, among their many other fine qualities. I wish one of those cutting-edge hybridizers out there would figure out how to add fragrance to paphs and phrags - then I'd have no use for any orchids other than slippers!

Real Name
    Stacie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Hehe Maur...I'm originally from the tn/va border. Maybe our love of similar flowers is a southern lady thing. I am carefully watching my paph, fearing bud blast. All looks ok so far. Just no action in the blooming dept. I bought gravel so that I can create more humidity trays tonight. I think I will have to plan an orchid budget...

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Stacie - I'm afraid I'm not a "southern lady" - not even a little. I moved to Atlanta from Boston 5 years ago. That said, I've found it SO much easier to grow things here - it's inspiring.... I've tried to budget myself on orchids, but so far it hasn't worked - good luck!! I've sent you a Friend Request - just a formality, really, but make sure you turn on your "private messaging" on here and we can discuss more specific things - like different nurseries - in that context.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Nice going Stacie. I'm sure you'll do great with the phrag!

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Stacie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Just an little update: My phrag appears to have six (yes, six!) new growths. Three are very tiny, too tiny to photograph, and are very bright green. They are very close to the base of the plant, which made me wonder if they are new roots rather than new leaf growth (the others are definite leaf growth!) Do new phrag roots resemble leaf buds? Thank you all for all of the wonderful advice, as this little guy is growing like crazy. I think it helps that it knows it is secretly my favorite plant...

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

That's so great, Stacie! Good for you!!! You must be doing something very right to have such good results so quickly. As far as I know, and my phrags kind of show me, new growths do NOT look like new roots. Post a photo when they're big enough to see and we can pin it down more definitely.