Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phragmipedilums: treading into unknown waters

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    Bravo Amey. Thanks everyone for the advice as I'm also looking for Phrags to grow.
    I think it's so exciting to have you getting into phrags, Yew! What are you thinking about for starters?

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Halloamey View Post
    Thanks a lot Jose. I am thinking of using MSU fertilizer for the Phrags. and I think I am getting some place at the Uni Greenhouse so nice bright light yeah !!
    That's great to hear, Amey - getting greenhouse light will make all the difference in the world. Now, of course, you'll have to assess the greenhouse humidity, air movement, and water quality, as well as its vulnerability to insects and disease! If you're using your own fertilizer there (or anywhere else, for that matter), I know there are different formulations of MSU fertilizer based on the water type.

Greenhouse space - I'm so jealous!!!

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

See Maura thats the benefit of being a doctoral student in plant molecular biology hehe. Since it is a research greenhouse, I can have whatever parameters I want. The temperatures will be 25 at day and 18 oC at night. Light around 3500 foot candles, humidity 70% day (don't have the readin g for night, and yes it will be very airy because of the good air circulation. For the water we have a tap that supplies de-ionised RO water pH 6.5, so I can add all nutrients I want. Now I think you will want to start a PhD as well LOL !
    Quote Originally Posted by mauraec View Post
    That's great to hear, Amey - getting greenhouse light will make all the difference in the world. Now, of course, you'll have to assess the greenhouse humidity, air movement, and water quality, as well as its vulnerability to insects and disease! If you're using your own fertilizer there (or anywhere else, for that matter), I know there are different formulations of MSU fertilizer based on the water type.

Greenhouse space - I'm so jealous!!!

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mauraec View Post
    I think it's so exciting to have you getting into phrags, Yew! What are you thinking about for starters?
    Anything that's available at our local nurseries or that are offered by vendors at the various orchid shows I go to. So far nothing, but still looking and enjoying looking at and learning from the posts on OT.

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Halloamey View Post
    See Maura thats the benefit of being a doctoral student in plant molecular biology hehe. Since it is a research greenhouse, I can have whatever parameters I want. The temperatures will be 25 at day and 18 oC at night. Light around 3500 foot candles, humidity 70% day (don't have the readin g for night, and yes it will be very airy because of the good air circulation. For the water we have a tap that supplies de-ionised RO water pH 6.5, so I can add all nutrients I want. Now I think you will want to start a PhD as well LOL !
    Perfect! I expect you will have world-renowned phrags before long!

As much as I would love to have a research greenhouse at my disposal, I think one doctorate per lifetime is plenty for anyone, so I'll just live vicariously through you.... Not a bad deal, I'd say.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jose R. Nieves View Post
    Hall:

Grande = caudatum x longifolium
    Sedenii = longifolium x schlimii
    Schroderae = caudatum x Sedenii

Three sections involved, Section Phragmipedium (Phrag. caudatum), Section Platypetalum (Phrag. longifolium) and section micropethalum (Phrag, schlimii).
    All of them grow as terrestrial or lithophytes associated with moss. Some (longifolium) grow at the edges of streams were sometimes they get covered in water.
    My experience is: bright light, no direct sunlight; loose media; diluted fertilizer (1/2 strenght) every 2-3 months, never dry out media (moist but not soggy), all my plants are on shallow plates with water CONSTANTLY, some kind of calcium supplement (I steal my mother the thing they use for birds). Hope it helps.
    Jose
    I would add that they will also appreciate warmer temperatures. We grow ours in the warm end of the greenhouse.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

I look forward to your bloom photos, Amey. I'm sure you will grow and bloom these exceptionally well.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Cool

Congrats on your first phrags!

I only have one phrag (a cute little schlimii that I should have done my research on before buying... I was told after the bud blasted that it's a particularly "fussy" phrag. Figures... LOL!!)

In a surprising turn of events, however, I've found that my little phrag isn't really that fussy after all... the bud blasted due to shipping, but ever since that little bump in the road, it's been a happy little plant. I have it in a ceramic glazed pot with one small drainage hole at the bottom. This holds the moisture in, as it's glazed on both the outside and the inside, so it really stays nice and damp inside. It's planted in a perlite/bark mix with a top dressing of sphag. I have it in Catt light, and it's been putting out new growth like crazy for the past few months.

I'm particularly delighted and surprised by my little phrag, as I was sure I was going to kill it... but I find that having the top dressing of sphag takes the "guesswork" out of knowing when to water. When the sphag on top starts to get dry (I usually wait for a little "crunch" when I poke it), I give the plant a good, thorough watering with plain old tap water, which is city water where we live, and that seems to do the trick.

I've never tried s/h, so I can't give you any advice in that regard, but basically it seems that phrags like to be wet, wet, wet... with lots of light and warmth. And when I've happened to pop into other forums when doing searches for phrag care, generally people who are struggling with their phrags get their cries for help answered with one or two-word responses... usually something along the lines of "WETTER!!"... or... "MORE WATER!!!" (I'm not crazy about those other forums because I'm not a fan of being screamed at in all caps... but "WETTER!!!" certainly does get the message across, I suppose. )

I can't wait to see bloom pics!! I know some phrags can get quite large... I'm curious how big yours will get. My dream is to someday own a purebred kovachii... I think I'll have to wait until the price drops below 'several hundred dollar per plant' though! LOL!

All the best to you and your new additions! I can't wait to hear how they're coming along! Good luck, and happy growing!

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

i've been threatening to get a nice phrag one day to try... it's been a while since i tried any slippers, had a nice lovely paph for many years that never bloomed due to not enough light, now i know better and would like to try again... i would like a nice multi-floral paph or a phrag, and would love some suggestions on an easy to find kind that is suitable for beginners.... any suggestions to research would be appreciated. i'm sure if i tried i could make space among my oncidiums for a phrag in a south facing window, but if anyone knows one that can handle southern california outdoors in winter, please tell me! i'm also interested in trying semi-hydro, so this might be the perfect intro? i already have the pellets...