Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dendrobium Green lantern

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Nicole
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Nice job Gabriela

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Oh, wow!! That is truly stunning!! I am just getting into dendrobiums...my first one just bloomed and I have to force myself not to keep buying more and more of them! I have to say though...seeing yours, I have some serious orchid envy over here! That's just gorgeous!! Anyway, I have three dendrobiums...two of which haven't bloomed yet (for me) and the one I mentioned before that's currently in bloom, and I'm hoping you can clarify something for me. It looks like your den is blooming in various places along the cane. My blooming den has a spike coming out the top of each cane and is blooming in sprays at the ends of the spikes. The other two dens have bloomed in the past (before I got them), and the old canes were shriveled and had been cut before they were shipped to me. I seem to remember reading that there are different types of dendrobiums: some that bloom all over the cane (and will rebloom on old canes) and some that only bloom on spikes coming out of the tops of new canes. Do I have that correct? If so, how do I know if mine are the kind that only blooms on new growth (as I'm suspecting)? Thanks!! Sorry to muddle this thread of admiration with a question! ;-)

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

@ Jenn : It would help if you posted pictures of your dendrobiums, preferably with flowers. From what I gather from your description you have either an antelope type ( Spathulata) or phalaenopsis type Phalaenanthe) or an intergeneric of the two. Yes they do put out their spikes from the terminal end and/or from the nodes near the terminal end. They are quite capable of producing multiple spikes simultaneously or sequentially from a single mature cane. Even old canes are capable of producing spikes occasionally. As to Den Green Lantern this hybrid is from the Formosae Section of dendrobium or the so-called nigro-hirsute ( black hair - referring to the black hairs on the canes) and produces 2-3 flowers on very short spikes from any of the nodes on the cane. These flowers are predominantly white with red/orange/yellow lip and very long lasting 2-3 months in our harsh climate; but beautiful yellow blooms are being produced using Den lowii as a parent. You might like to check out some of the Formosae hybrids that have been featured in OT eg Dawn Maree, Roongkamol Vejvarut, Frosty Dawn, Den formosum, cruentum and their hybrids. I can really recommend these to you as this group of dendrobiums is more tolerant of cooler conditions than most dendrobiums. The added bonus is the longlasting flowers - after all they are known as 'Everlasting Dendrobiums' here.

Real Name
    Gabriela
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Vanda, Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Great reply Yew, Jenn if you could place a picture that would be very helpful. We could be able to assist you better with your questions.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Thanks so much, Yew! That was very informative! I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will start a new thread with pics of my dendrobiums. Give me a day or so to get the pics up...I'd love to know what types I have! And thanks for the recommendations too...I'll have to look into those!! This Green Lantern is just about the most beautiful den I've ever seen. I'm drooling over it! LOL

Real Name
    Gabriela
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Vanda, Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Jenn, I enjoy my green lantern every day as it has such a vibrant lip and it is blooming for a long time. I look forward to your pictures. Good luck.