Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Orchids as just as easy as any plant, you just have to know them" - Falacy or not?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

I have a barred in balcony and a large roof overhang, so the plants get direct sun from about 2p-7:30p. No direct overhead light ever, only right in front of them. So, I bought some burlap this evening and I'm going to hang it from one side of the bars to the other. I'm wandering if I should only do one layer or double it up. It doesn't say what percentage of shade it provides, it's just standard, loose burlap.

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

I'd double it and remove a layer after a week or two.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

There's something about growing "tropical" plants in a non-tropical environment. It's difficult, but very rewarding when you get blooms. I think I just wish I lived in the rainforest!

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium , Phalaneopsis
    Member's Country Flag

I think the main challenges I find with orchids is growing it near a window, because the temp and humidity are not easily controlled and is maintained majority by the house. Light is a very important element i have realised i'm grateful the window recieves light from AM to PM recently I bought a fan to increase airflow and the orchies seem to like this a lot. When I get asked are orchies hard to grow I would say yes because the enviroment we provide is so different from their home but once you observe what each genus need then it does get easier and very rewarding when spikes appear.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

Are orchids easy...I prefer to refer to them as an acquired talent. They can become "easier" after you learn to spray for bugs, fungus, bacteria before you get them and to avoid overwatering, sunburn and plants not suited to your growing conditions. The hardest part is learning to not to overwater. I've tried to grow regular houseplants...killed every single one. I tried to grow cactus...killed most of them. I don't even bother trying african violets as they just melt into goo on me. Orchids are the first plants I seem to be able to grow with any success so for me, five years into this learning process, I find them to be relatively easy.

Real Name
    Denny
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Connie ,
    I am in Clearwater and I am new at raising orchids. I have all my orchids on the patio. I moved them out there in mid March.
    What product do you use bugs,fungus and bacteria and how often do you use it?
    I have not used any product yet on my orchids,as I fiqured why use something if you don't have a problem.
    I do have Neem oil extract,and physan 20. After reading some of the precautions on the physan 20,I am a little leary about using that.
    I have mainly Phals and Oncidiums and also a few cats and a Dendrobium. I will send pics of them on patio.
    Thanks in advance for your info.
    DennyName:  DSCN3096 (640x480).jpg
Views: 292
Size:  325.8 KBName:  DSCN3097 (640x480).jpg
Views: 280
Size:  346.8 KBName:  DSCN3098 (640x480).jpg
Views: 268
Size:  359.3 KBName:  DSCN3099 (640x480).jpg
Views: 320
Size:  375.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    Are orchids easy...I prefer to refer to them as an acquired talent. They can become "easier" after you learn to spray for bugs, fungus, bacteria before you get them and to avoid overwatering, sunburn and plants not suited to your growing conditions. The hardest part is learning to not to overwater. I've tried to grow regular houseplants...killed every single one. I tried to grow cactus...killed most of them. I don't even bother trying african violets as they just melt into goo on me. Orchids are the first plants I seem to be able to grow with any success so for me, five years into this learning process, I find them to be relatively easy.

Real Name
    Denny
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

A few more pics of patio orchidsName:  DSCN3053 (640x480).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  307.5 KBName:  DSCN3057 (640x480).jpg
Views: 236
Size:  342.8 KBName:  DSCN3058 (640x480).jpg
Views: 242
Size:  352.8 KBName:  DSCN3101 (640x480).jpg
Views: 243
Size:  348.8 KB

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Laelia

the texas thread!!! I'm in Houston guys, just saying hi! I agree with OP, orchids aren't super easy as some people seem to portray them to be. Not impossible, but nowhere near as easy as pothos or something like that.

Real Name
    Raphael Araujo
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance.
    Member's Country Flag

Anything is easy when you understand and connect with it. However, each orchid is unique, and must be approach in that manner. It's all about the relationship!

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Can't completely agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sand_tiger86 View Post
    Keeping one alive is easy enough...but actually flowering one ...
    But that, Kelly, is an important difference -- the majority of houseplants are NOT grown for their blooms and indeed many rarely if ever bloom indoors. As such, I would consider that to be a rather null "arguement" for comparison of ease.

For those typical houseplants that ARE grown with the expectation of flowers, many require certain conditions in order to do so -- just like orchids. Hoyas and most succulents, IME, require a great deal of light in order to bloom. Otherwise all you get is vegatative growth ... not unlike many orchids. Additionally, if insufficent light is provided, those same plants give weak, etiolated growth. African violets, probably the quintessential houseplant, are generally far harder for me to grow -- unless I grow them in a terrarium -- than many orchids. Hippeastrums (aka holiday amarylis) have proven nigh impossible for me to rebloom, though I do know many folks who can do so. Schlumbergera (Thanksgiving/Christmas cactus), another quite common houseplant, I have found can be rather tempermental ... sometimes "shattering" for no apparent reason. And if you rotate your Schlum while it is in bud, kiss your buds goodbye. So the upshot is, I feel, that if you pick your plants (whether orchids or non) based upon your growing conditions, orchids are not really any more difficult than a "typical" houseplant. Unfortunately for us, many of the orchids which captivate us, need conditions different than what we currently have -- thus the extra work in meeting their needs.