Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Phal leaf yellow and brown or 'bumpy'

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Phal leaf yellow and brown or 'bumpy'

Hi

I've attached pictures of 2 plants that I'm concered about. One has a big yellow spot on the leaf which has since turned black in the middle. It also had bud drop of tiny buds that developed last week.

The other plant has an unusual bumpy texture on the bottom side of one leaf, like the leaf is collapsing internally.

Both plants have nice green roots, although the aerial roots look a little dried up and some have tiny black specks. I'm suspicious of spider mites or fungus gnats so I treated all plants with insecticidal soap last week.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Name:  P1070443.jpeg
Views: 5501
Size:  74.9 KBName:  P1070445.jpeg
Views: 1895
Size:  24.4 KB

Real Name
    Cassandra
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phals, tolumnia
    Member's Country Flag

There are quite a few ailments your phal with the yellowing leaf could be suffering from, and I'll leave it to more experienced growers to speculate, but I think all would agree that you need to use a sterile cutting tool and remove that damaged tissue. It will continue to spread and infect your whole plant, regardless of how it acquired the infection. Cut 1/2 inch into the healthy leaf tissue and rub the cut with neosporin, cinnamon, or sulfur. Believe me, your phal will survive the surgery fine and will even thank you for it!

As for your second photo, I'll be awaiting some advice from other growers along with you and WELCOME!! You will LOVE it here!

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with Cass on cutting that infected area! I would venture to guess that the wrinkling is due to dehydration but if the roots are healthy as you say, then that wouldn't make much sense. And usually that's something that affects the leaf uniformly, not just in one place. I hope someone with more expertise can help you out with that one!

Thanks. I will perform the surgery tonight

I wish I knew better what to do about the 2nd photo. I too was wondering if its dehydration. I'm watering 1/4 cup once a week but maybe that's not enough. The aerial roots are silver/green but were more green when I bought it. I'm having a difficult time judging when it needs water. The bark chips on the top always feel dry to me and its hard to dig down about an inch with your finger I also was going to start misting but I'm nervous of getting water buildup at the bottom of the leaves. When I sprayed them with insecticidal soap it accumulated at the bottom of each leaf and I had to use q-tips to dry them out! Ah, its a labour of love I guess

Thanks again for any and all advice

Real Name
    Cassandra
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phals, tolumnia
    Member's Country Flag

Your phal should be potted in a pot with drainage holes/slits in it....I don't think 1/4 cup of water is adequate as it drains straight thru. At least not in the long run. If your pot is clear plastic you might be able to view the roots. Green are moist, silvery need a drink. I take mine to the sink and douse the aerial roots and media with tepid water for 15+ seconds, allow to drain in sink for about ten minutes and repeat with fertilizer. Mist from further away..... And maybe only the smallest droplets will carry to the leaves but won't accumulate at the crown....

Thanks. I tried your watering method last night except for the ones planted in moss. Figured they would get too wet with this method so i just gave them a little more water. Will watch the root color carefully and aim for a nice green color Will transplant the ones in moss into bark mix when finished blooming. Hope the plant with the bumpy leaves gets better (still don't know if it's from dehydration....) thanks again!!
    Posted via Mobile Device