Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "New" Canon G11 Point-and-Shoot is Here!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Default The "New" Canon G11 Point-and-Shoot is Here!

I've mentioned in other threads that I have great admiration for a number of the better point-and-shoot cameras out there, and only added a DSLR to my repertoire about 18 months ago. A little research will tell you right away that all point-and-shoots are not equal, however, and I looked very hard to replace my well-used Canon A590. My "new" Canon G11 received raves from the DSLR people who, like me, can't always drag tripods around and insist on everyone and everything around them stopping while an excellent photo composition is set up and executed.

Anyway, I'm blown away by it! It's very nearly as complicated as my D80, and as prone to taking awful picturesa when I don't pay attention to the settings (of course, I insist on using the manual setting because the "Auto" programs are far too easy.

I played around with it last night and shot these of Winston, one of my Siamese fighting fish. I'm rather pleased by them....

Name:  Winston all blue.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  Winston blue b&w.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  Winston mostly green.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  51.8 KB

I'll update as I take more shots with it.

Thanks for looking.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Photos are crisp and clear, Maura. Nice going.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

This is the Atlanta equivalent of an Arundina, I think - this sunflower grew out of one of Phillip's bonsai pots from one of the many sunflower seeds that the birds drop all over the place while they're feeding.

Another shot with the G11:

Name:  sunflower 2.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  61.0 KB

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Member's Country Flag

i hope you could get a photo of pink blush blooms like those of a phal sanderiana which my nikon p100 is having trouble. or it was just me.

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Great shots, Maura. I see the camera handles the blue of the betta very well. Last April my eldest son came home from Hong Kong and we went around a few photo shops and while I was looking at one of the cheap Nikkor lens, asked me if I wanted one and I said 'Yesbut with the recent purchase of orchid plants couldn't afford one' - so he bought it for me! It's a AF S Nikkor 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 G ED with VR.I didn't have time to put it through its paces until a few days ago and 'boy', was I surprised. It is very sharp and the anti-vibration VR worked like a dream. I could shoot hand-held at 300 mm at 1/125 sec and this from a cheap zoom lens costing less than MYR1000 (US $320). Hand-held shots at 300mm at 1/125 may not be a big deal for many but for a 74 year old it's a bonus.

Real Name
    David Boyle
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Paph, cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I had a Canon 10D when it first came out and use a 5D as my regular "good" camera. However, my backup has always been the "G" series and the G11 is brilliant. It was my only camera on a recent cruise through the Panama Canal including shots of Scarlet Macaws in Costa Rica and sea birds near land. You just have to follow them like a gun so that you take care of the lag time with a point and shoot. It takes practice but who cares with digital. I wish I had my 100-400 zoom with me but didn't miss the weight!

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

David -

Thank you for sharing your experience with the G11! It is especially welcome as my husband and I now have 2 of them between us! His "good" camera is a Nikon D200, with a 55-200 lens (and a 60 macro as well), while I shoot with the lesser - but great - D80 and an 18-105 lens. I can't imagine what a 100-400 zoom weighs - I think I'd need an assistant just to help me hold it up!

My G11 so far has amazed me with the quality of its shots, as well as overwhelming me with the overabundance of settings.

Tell me, do you have any favorite settings (I mean, among the myriad scenes, colors, ISO adjustments, etc) on it? I'm trying to put together a list for the C1 and C2 settings and would rather choose my own preferences than those on Auto - but perhaps you find that Auto is best? My primary objection to the pre-programmed settings is that they tend to result in a much higher ISO than I like. I prefer mine around 100-200 - NOT 1600!

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zildjian View Post
    i hope you could get a photo of pink blush blooms like those of a phal sanderiana which my nikon p100 is having trouble. or it was just me.
    I've had trouble with pinks and purples on my D80, too. The G11 seems to get the color right more quickly, but somehow the photos feel more "processed" to me - I guess I feel like anything worth doing is worth doing the hard way!

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    Great shots, Maura. I see the camera handles the blue of the betta very well. Last April my eldest son came home from Hong Kong and we went around a few photo shops and while I was looking at one of the cheap Nikkor lens, asked me if I wanted one and I said 'Yesbut with the recent purchase of orchid plants couldn't afford one' - so he bought it for me! It's a AF S Nikkor 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 G ED with VR.I didn't have time to put it through its paces until a few days ago and 'boy', was I surprised. It is very sharp and the anti-vibration VR worked like a dream. I could shoot hand-held at 300 mm at 1/125 sec and this from a cheap zoom lens costing less than MYR1000 (US $320). Hand-held shots at 300mm at 1/125 may not be a big deal for many but for a 74 year old it's a bonus.
    I've been meaning to get back to this post for days, Yew - forgive me. Another member on this thread just referred to a 100-400 zoom - which he DID not take on vacation with him, understandably. Being able to shoot hand-held at any speed is always a challenge for me - my hands tend to shake - so, I'm very jealous of your new 300 zoom - 1/125th? Even I can manage that. You'll have to post some photos taken with it - and, as for age, you know perfectly well that it's how you live that determines your real age - the rest is just numbers. That makes you about, let's see..... maybe 37, in my book?

Real Name
    David Boyle
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Paph, cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I am a raw fanatic so I use the Tv setting at whatever speed I need..rarely less that 100th unless I haven't had coffee and it has been a really dull day. Then I go up from there depending on the light. With a flash you can go below 100 of course since the flash defines the speed. I use the lowest ISO setting that I can get away with..preferable 100-200. It isn't a DSLR in that sense and so you add grain sooner than a DSLR. I am experimenting with the Canon Speedlight 220 and it seems to do a good job. I just haven't had time to play with it as a fill flash on cloudy days.