Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mrs. Meyers Liquid soap / Mealy Bugs

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas Challenging to grow

If they are embedded in the crown and inside sheaths, What works for me is a spray bottle of Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide mixture.
    Seems to work on scales as well. This is my go to weapon for insects and diseases as I don't like to use chemicals.

BUT and this is a big But, I'm mainly using it on Catts and Dens, so I can't verify that it works on any other types of orchids.

Occasionally, I will use Neem Oil and Insecticidal Soap for things such as aphids and sooty mold. I just don't like the smell of Neem Oil and the stickiness that I get from using the stuff.

JMO

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

You get azadirachtin extract (compound from neem oil) and is not oily and is fairly safe and works on most of the sucking pests. That is my first go to weapon these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
    If they are embedded in the crown and inside sheaths, What works for me is a spray bottle of Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide mixture.
    Seems to work on scales as well. This is my go to weapon for insects and diseases as I don't like to use chemicals.

BUT and this is a big But, I'm mainly using it on Catts and Dens, so I can't verify that it works on any other types of orchids.

Occasionally, I will use Neem Oil and Insecticidal Soap for things such as aphids and sooty mold. I just don't like the smell of Neem Oil and the stickiness that I get from using the stuff.

JMO

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

I had a couple of bad experience with mealy bugs. The first one, I successfully killed all the mealy bugs with soap solution, but the plant itself did not survive the treatment, most probably because the soap solution is too concentrated. Second time, I used alcohol swab and more diluted soap solution. Luckily it works and the plant is on the way to recovery. I think when an orchid is damaged by mealy bugs, the wound may also susceptible to fungal infection.

---------- Post Merged at 04:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ksriramkumar View Post
    You get azadirachtin extract (compound from neem oil) and is not oily and is fairly safe and works on most of the sucking pests. That is my first go to weapon these days.
    Thanks for the info!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Very true that any sucking pest carries them or creates a weakness so that fungi or bacterial pathogen can invade

Quote Originally Posted by Azizan View Post
    I had a couple of bad experience with mealy bugs. The first one, I successfully killed all the mealy bugs with soap solution, but the plant itself did not survive the treatment, most probably because the soap solution is too concentrated. Second time, I used alcohol swab and more diluted soap solution. Luckily it works and the plant is on the way to recovery. I think when an orchid is damaged by mealy bugs, the wound may also susceptible to fungal infection.

---------- Post Merged at 04:13 PM ----------

Thanks for the info!

I agree it smells bad but I guess the mealy bugs don't like it either because so far I have noticed they are not in the sheath or the crown. After awhile I sponge out the oil with any absorbant paper I can get.
    Using the insecticidal I have noticed the bodies of mealy bugs look bare like poodles after a haircut.
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas Challenging to grow

Quote Originally Posted by blueggreen View Post
    Using the insecticidal I have noticed the bodies of mealy bugs look bare like poodles after a haircut.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    LOL! Either this guy has X-ray vision or have large Mealy Bugs.

I guess I'd better get that much needed Cataract Surgery because things are getting harder and harder to see.

The other night I was driving home and things seemed to be very dark. Someone started flashing their lights at me from behind and lo and behold .... I forgot to turn on the lights. DUH! To make it worse, I couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights and had to pull over. Luckily, I didn't wind up in the ditch ... or dropped down the side of the hill. S C A R Y !

My old truck, you had to pull the knob to turn on the lights and I couldn't find ANY knobs in my Lexus ... LOL, I guess I've never driven it in the dark.

Senility or a Senior Moment?

LOL! Either this guy has X-ray vision or have large Mealy Bugs.

I guess I'd better get that much needed Cataract Surgery because things are getting harder and harder to see.

before you go for that surgery lol :-)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Ooh! That last one is Mealy Bug 'coerulea'

Real Name
    Elio
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium
    Member's Country Flag

First you must be sure of the parasite that affects our plants, personally I use a microscope, especially control new purchases for parasites or eggs.
    If it really is the scale insects, Cocciniglia - Parassiti e Malattie, this site can help you recognize them.
    Against scale insects a great product is the Movento 48 SC, produced by Bayer, is the first insecticide with double sistemia, active over the scale insects, even on psyllid, whiteflies.

If it comes to mites, the main one is the red spider mite, Tetranychus urticae, Acari rossi chi sono e perché non dobbiamo ucciderli, the problem is more serious , we must do more treatments, at least three every 15 days, Borneo council (Bayer) as ovicidal + Vertimec as adulticide, can be mixed.

These are the common enemies, there are others, I tell you that you need to be sure about what you have to fight and sooner you act the better and with the right product.