Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

View Poll Results: How many orchids do you have?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-10

16 9.47%
  • 11-20

22 13.02%
  • 21-30

14 8.28%
  • 31-40

17 10.06%
  • 41-50

13 7.69%
  • 51-60

8 4.73%
  • 61-75

13 7.69%
  • 76-100

8 4.73%
  • Between 100 and 200

22 13.02%
  • There's too many to count.

36 21.30%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many orchids do you have?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cdayinflorida View Post
    Exactly, Bill....you don't won't to be labeled that crazy orchid guy Mums the word!
    Cathy, I already have that label and am proud of it! Could be called a lot worse and probably have! LOL

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Oh dear...looks like I should have added another category to the poll....hehe...I'm glad to be in such good company! I just can't stop buying them! I like the idea of not counting NOIDs, though...that would cut my collection down considerably and I could give myself permission to buy a whole bunch more!

My biggest problem is that there's a flower clearance store about 5 minutes from my son's preschool, and they have orchids for $6.00. When the plants are at the end of their bloom cycle, they go on sale for $3.00. I can't resist an orchid for $3!! So I impulsively buy whatever's pretty (which is, well, mostly everything). I tell myself that the plants would probably end up dying if I didn't rescue them, because regular consumers wouldn't buy sad-looking orchids. So I buy them and repot them and give them a happy home. It's so gratifying when they bloom again and I know they're healthy and happy. But I'm running out of space!

If I could just stay away from that store, I'd be in much better shape. I just can't resist stopping in a couple of times a week to see what they have, though!

I also have quite a few species plants I bought online. Perhaps I'll only count those! I am starting to get "the look" from people who come in my house. You know the one...it's the "Have you gone completely crazy?" look. My babysitter tells me she's going to start charging admission for people to come to my house and look at the orchids.

But now I can tell her that I'm firmly in the "not crazy" category, as far as orchid collectors go. I think I'm on my way, though...
    Last edited by OrchidAddict; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: there was a typo

Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

You are no where near crazy yet. You may be on your way though. I know I am near 200 and have 6 more on their way at the moment. Every time someone asks this question I want to go out and count. Then when I do, I find out I have way more than I thought. Keep up the good work you will catch up with the rest of us soon.

Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Member's Country Flag

Well if I'm right, 38 is my current count. I would like to up that number but I'm just not getting the right circumstances that promotes the increase of my population.

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

I have 12 at the moment. That's really all I have room for, as I only have two windows they can go in. Not to mention it almost takes half a days worth of work to fertilize/water them all...I don't know how you people with 40 of them (or more!) manage!

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

I think I'm the only sane one around - I have about 400 (stopped counting at 300) but wait a minute, that is after 50 years of growing orchids. And that works out to 8 or less a year if you disregard the 3 previous collections which were disposed off.

Real Name
    Nicole
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Well speaking as an owner of about 40 ish , it takes me a while too but like some I have no kids and my husband works away from home for months at a time and I'm not exactly a social butterfly. I just wait till my days off and then I have all the time I want . It also helps that my plants don't stay wet for long so I can actually water some of my chids at night .
    Last edited by yvonni; August 1st, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them...
    Member's Country Flag

Well since the winters are so cold, and I haven't won the lottery, I cannot afford to heat the little greenhouse. I have two psycho cats that love to eat my plants so I have to protect them from the cats also. The room will be 4 x 6 x 8'. It's basically a BIG plywood box with a door, walls painted white with a 400 watt MH grow light (and a 400 watt HPS when they start to flower), fan and humidifier. I'll have to vent the light to prevent overheating. It should stay around 80 during the day and 65 when the lights go off. in a sealed room, 60% humidity shouldn't be hard. I'm going to check the light at various distances and place the plants accordingly. Believe it or not, I got most of my info about the grow rooms from the...a'hem...marijuana grow websites. I don't smoke the stuff but they do put a lot of time and effort in their growing efforts, probably just as much as we put into out plants...

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

I am already known as the crazy orchid guy at my University as most of my packages arrive here, since I am here the whole day I also do not divulge the actual no. of my orchids to my parents and more so the money I spend on them haha !

Real Name
    Kevin
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them...
    Member's Country Flag

I wouldn't feel too crazy guys...my uncle in AZ has around 3500. It's repotting time and he's been going at it since April. 25 to 30 re-pots a night. Now that's crazy...