Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can orchids be too happy to spike?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

Default Can orchids be too happy to spike?

I know I complain a lot about none of my plants putting out spikes. But I wonder if perhaps it's because they're too happy in my care. They get strong light, get fertilized weekly without fail, watered every time they're dry with no long gaps etc. All seem perfectly content getting bigger and bigger, and putting out roots like there's no tomorrow but it almost seems like they're saying "Why should we flower? What's the point? This is just fine." I'm thinking about cutting them off of all fertilizer or some kind of change for a couple of months just to see what happens.

Real Name
    Andrew
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Hhhmmmm?
    Member's Country Flag

to tell you the truth...i think your right.....when ever something drastic happens to my plants thats when i get spikes, i left my plants outside for 3 weeks in early april....very cold, what did i get? 4 plants with spikes, i left mine in the basement for two weeks what did i get??, 3 more spikes, i threw them out the window and into the street, what did i get? <------your crazy, cause i would never do that...hehe......seems like they have to be in a state of survival to spike for some........ to grow, to keiki, or to flower that is the question...haha

Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I have found the same to be true. If they go through a period of neglect they reward me with blooms and roots. When I am on vacation for a week or two at a time I find the roots appear in abundance and spikes soon appear. I wonder if orchids are into s/ m? Lol --just kidding!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum, Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Since you say they get good light I would say lay off the fertilizer and give them 20 degree difference between day and night temp. Works for me!

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

I would say this is generally true. Many species need a rest period to bloom well. So a hybrid is likely to pick up that trait. I'm not sure where, but I read that many plants initiate a bloom cycle in response to a lack of nitrogen. You could try withholding fertilizers after growth has matured.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

But it's so difficult to know WHEN to lay off, as all of my plants don't have a "cycle". They're always producing foliage at all times of the year.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

I think you need more temperature difference between night and day. If your plants are outside and it is 80° out at night, I don't think they would sense that it is "flowering season" for them.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

If your plants don't flower, give them more sunlight. Even if you think it's enough, if you don't see the light green leaves and red freckles here and there, you will not get blooms. When I first joined someone told me pretty orchids don't bloom. I have to agree. Due to construction I placed my shelves much closer to the edge of the shade/sun boundry this year and i'm getting tons of new growth, roots, sheaths and buds. It's where my "bloom or burn" thing came from. I go to a local nursery that grows dendrobiums in full sun. they turn red and burn, then bloom the hugest spikes ever. When everyone keeps saying more sun, it's usually right....and it's totally true what I was told: Pretty orchids don't bloom.

Real Name
    Andrew
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Hhhmmmm?
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sand_tiger86 View Post
    But it's so difficult to know WHEN to lay off, as all of my plants don't have a "cycle". They're always producing foliage at all times of the year.

cycles? i think each new growth has a cycle that can be coaxed into what you want it to do at one specific moment. But it seems like once you pass that time period for ie (more water, more ferts, less ferts, more light, temp change) then you cant go back till the next cycle or new growth comes around, so in turn you can make it grow a sheath or not depending if you pleased its requirements...lol well specifically timed requirements..and thats not to say you even pleased it enough to even fill that sheath...lol.this is something ive been trying to notice about the new growth and overall outcome of a new pseudobulb..learning your plants personally helps

Real Name
    mojamoja
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, bromeliads & vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Mabuhay!

its time to change your care regimen. heheheehee. try not to apply ferts for a month