Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tropical Storm Isaac

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kjeldsen Affoon
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Trichocentrums,Local Species
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    Well I hope all those that are about to get the bad weather are prepared and safe. The orchids have weathered centuries of storms and they come back, God only made one of you so don't risk unnecessary harm to save what can be replaced. We here in Barbados are just getting the rain right now but there is possibility of flooding in some areas. I hope all those that are in T&T dealing with all the bad flooding are safe and sound.
    hmmm the flood is really bad in some low...lying areas and a lot of people who build without permisssion and approvals....indiscriminate housing schemes and deforestation/quarrying is causing this more so now than ever before...legislation and honest politicians are needed(a dream)......on the bright side....i dont need to water!! everyone growing maddd....let us hope Haiti/Dom.Republic is safe...they bracing for it as we speak...poor Haiti cant stand much more of these things

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Thank God you're safe, Carmen, and the damage hasn't been too aweful! Thank you for being so diligent about keeping all of us updated - it really makes us feel better.

Real Name
    angela parris
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Dendrobium, Oncidium
    Member's Country Flag

Glad to hear you and your orchids are safe. On our local news tonight I saw some pics. of yesterdays flooding in Diego Martin and Port of Spain, they were awesome, the amount of water that was just gushing away. We had rain for 2 days but not to cause flooding.
    My heart and prayers go out to the poor people of Haiti who have hardly gotten over the disasterous earthquake. I trust that God will have Mercy on them.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kjeldz View Post
    hmmm the flood is really bad in some low...lying areas and a lot of people who build without permisssion and approvals....indiscriminate housing schemes and deforestation/quarrying is causing this more so now than ever before...legislation and honest politicians are needed(a dream)......on the bright side....i dont need to water!! everyone growing maddd....let us hope Haiti/Dom.Republic is safe...they bracing for it as we speak...poor Haiti cant stand much more of these things

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

I am glad to hear everyone is okay so far. We are watching the cone and will start looking to move things in if necessary tomorrow. I'm hoping it will swing west again, away from the Tampa area. Everybody in Florida, be safe! When it gets this way i'll update. I'm close to the beaches and hoping we don't get water up this far. This will be our first go round in this location...well with a hurricane anyways. We did a tropical storm and a couple tornado's and did pretty well. Here's hoping for a tropical storm...or a path that puts it way out in the gulf.

Real Name
    Beny
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like them all
    Member's Country Flag

Well was nice to hear everyone in the islands & Puerto Rico fared well with the exemption of rain, now is the Floridians turn. I know they are a fue of us here down south where rain has not stopped today, I have already started to bring in some of my Catts to keep them from the rain and also preparing for Isaac. Let's hope and pray Isaac stays as a tropical storm I think we can handle the rain. Everyone in FL stay safe and best of luck.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

Please take care and stay safe.

Real Name
    Nicole
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

As Beny said, all the Foridians out there stay safe and we will be thinking of you and praying for you that nothing too serious happens .I also pray for our fellow caribbean brothers and sisters in Haiti , hope nothing much happens there also . Every year we all go through hurricane season together, from Florida and some of the southern states all the way back down to south america . We are all affected at this time of the year in some way or another . This reminds me that it's a small world after all .

Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

I can't afford to live on the water or even close to it anymore. The cost of insurance and property values are out of my league. I live far enough inland now that the danger of flooding is no more. We have to worry about winds and spinoff tornadoes but not the threat of water.
    I lived my entire life up until my divorce on the water. It was a way of life with hurricanes and that danger of flooding. I miss the water, terribly. But I don't miss the threat of it.
    I hope all are safe. If you have have a generator now is the time to drag it out and test that it is working. The fuel injectors clog after sitting for any length of time.

Real Name
    Kathi
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can I pick just one???
    Member's Country Flag

Thinking of all of you in/near Isaac's path. Please continue to keep us posted!

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Steady rains this morning (Saturday) in Ft. Lauderdale. No wind yet. The storm looks very disorganized but it could give us a couple days of wet weather.