Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TA-DA! Introducing new camera and new equipment.....

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun, look forward to your photos. I liked photography before I got into orchids, but they are a photographer's dream. good luck.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

Congrats on the purchase! I love Nikon, both camera and lens. The macro lens is a great tool for any closeup.

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Well done Maura and Phillip!!! I'm just as excited as you over your new equipment. That Epson printer is a really serious piece of hardware - I'm sure you'll have some awesome prints from it ! Great that you can share the lenses with Phillip. Since he has that new 105 mm macro you'll have greater access to the 60mm macro. That's fab lens as well - indeed I think it is preferable over the 105 (and Tamron SP 90) for flower photography as it gives better depth of field. The longer focal length is useful in the field when approaching wary critters like butterflies and dragonflies.

You are so right about 'the couple that plays together .....' and a bit of rivalry is healthy too as it helps both to improve. My wife takes the occasional family snapshots but my number 1 and 3 sons share the same enthusiasm for photography as a hobby and in their work; the former in his work as an animal conservation officer and the latter as a reporter. The three of us try to get together every year for nature and country photo shoots . Oh yes the wife accompanies us as well, acting as a helper,occasional model and all round critic.

BTW that carbon tripod is awesome - wish I could afford one though!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Congratulations!

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    Well done Maura and Phillip!!! I'm just as excited as you over your new equipment. That Epson printer is a really serious piece of hardware - I'm sure you'll have some awesome prints from it ! Great that you can share the lenses with Phillip. Since he has that new 105 mm macro you'll have greater access to the 60mm macro. That's fab lens as well - indeed I think it is preferable over the 105 (and Tamron SP 90) for flower photography as it gives better depth of field. The longer focal length is useful in the field when approaching wary critters like butterflies and dragonflies.

You are so right about 'the couple that plays together .....' and a bit of rivalry is healthy too as it helps both to improve. My wife takes the occasional family snapshots but my number 1 and 3 sons share the same enthusiasm for photography as a hobby and in their work; the former in his work as an animal conservation officer and the latter as a reporter. The three of us try to get together every year for nature and country photo shoots . Oh yes the wife accompanies us as well, acting as a helper,occasional model and all round critic.

BTW that carbon tripod is awesome - wish I could afford one though!
    Thank, Yew - and Phillip joins in as well. Wow - when the 3 (4) of you go out on photo shoots, it must be quite an entourage - and some fantastic results!.

Actually, the tripod wasn't too terribly expensive - about $150 American. But we haven't see it yet.

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mauraec View Post
    Thank, Yew - and Phillip joins in as well. Wow - when the 3 (4) of you go out on photo shoots, it must be quite an entourage - and some fantastic results!.

Actually, the tripod wasn't too terribly expensive - about $150 American. But we haven't see it yet.
    The photo shoots are more for bonding than trying to take great pictures though we do have some decent pictures to show for them, The last 4 years we made the rounds of 'rural' Hong Kong in the New Territories, which is the home base of my eldest son's work in conservation; and a few of the nature parks and thrice to the Mai Po Nature Reserve to observe the winter migration of birds from Northern China and Siberia. When we showed some of the pictures to our friends back home and in Hong Kong itself they were surprised that 'wild' Hong Kong still existed.