Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TA-DA! Introducing new camera and new equipment.....

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Default TA-DA! Introducing new camera and new equipment.....

Well, Phillip and I have gone and taken a huge step forward in our photography.

1) We now have an Epson Stylus Photo 2880 printer. It prints in nine colors, will print on any thing up to 13" wide and 44" long, and prints on all kinds of fine artist papers - velvet, luminous, canvas, watercolor, even roll paper. We have yet to figure out how it works, but I'm on it.

2) I decided to trade up from my Nikon D80. Spent a lot of time researching what I wanted - and could afford!- and decided on a used D300 - one up from the 200, one down from the 300s, the latter of which is no different except that it takes HD movies - not an issue for me. It should be here today or tomorrow - I am SO excited!

So.... what does Phillip do? He decides HE wants a D300, too. So, he's trading in his D200 for a 300 just like mine (except I got a better deal). Oh, and he bought a carbon fiber travel tripod as well. Remember when I got my Canon G11? And Phillip bought the same exact model after me? Think there's a pattern here?

3) I should say that Phillip did go one step further and bought a Nikon-Micro 105mm lens with all the trimmings - fast, VR, ED, AF, DX, whatever else there is to it. It already came and weighs about 20 pounds - guess who's going to be carrying that????

4) Oh, and as part of this photography spending adventure, Phillip bought a new camera bag, and has generously given me his old one. And I'm allowed to use his lenses (the 55-200 zoom, 60mm fixed focal macro, and the new 105 macro) any time I want. I guess the couple that plays together.....

I'll certainly let you know when I start taking shots with the D300.

A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-A-A-T-I-O-N!!!!!

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Very excited for you Maura ! Looking forward to the photos from your new cam.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

I seem to see a link between orchid lovers and photography lovers. Could it be that we all appreciate beauty? Or is it that we orchid growers are detail-oriented by nature, so it's in our character to produce beautiful art as well as beautiful plants?

I'd be curious to see how many of us here on the forum either have a side business in photography or are photo hobbyists! I have a photo studio in my home...I do mostly portraits and event photography (weddings and such), but once some of my more fancy orchids start blooming, I'm definitely utilizing my studio to take gorgeous pics of them.

Congrats on your most recent purchase! A new camera is sort of like a new car...enjoy driving it!

Real Name
    Gage
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda garayii
    Member's Country Flag

That is so fun, new cameras rock! You guys will have so much fun with that. And a fancy printer too? Very nice! Have fun and post pics! Hmm, is it weird that I would like to see pictures of your printed pictures?

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Getting a new camera is so exciting. Congratulations. The 105 macro lens that you bought is a great lens. Have fun.

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    That is so fun, new cameras rock! You guys will have so much fun with that. And a fancy printer too? Very nice! Have fun and post pics! Hmm, is it weird that I would like to see pictures of your printed pictures?
    Not at all weird - after all, WE want to show photos of our printed pictures! Wonder how the colors will translate on THAT level?

Real Name
    Gage
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda garayii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mauraec View Post
    Not at all weird - after all, WE want to show photos of our printed pictures! Wonder how the colors will translate on THAT level?
    Cool! Can't wait to see! I guess I am more curious about how the digital prints turn out when printed on different textures of paper, the overall impression.

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OrchidAddict View Post
    I seem to see a link between orchid lovers and photography lovers. Could it be that we all appreciate beauty? Or is it that we orchid growers are detail-oriented by nature, so it's in our character to produce beautiful art as well as beautiful plants?

I'd be curious to see how many of us here on the forum either have a side business in photography or are photo hobbyists! I have a photo studio in my home...I do mostly portraits and event photography (weddings and such), but once some of my more fancy orchids start blooming, I'm definitely utilizing my studio to take gorgeous pics of them.

Congrats on your most recent purchase! A new camera is sort of like a new car...enjoy driving it!
    I think I'm more excited about this camera than I was when I bought my car! I envy you having a photo studio in your own home - unless I just want to throw up a black background, say, over the couch, it's a big production to pull out the lightbox and studio lights. I'm getting something smaller,though, and a rack-type thingy to hold up to 10' of background. Some of my Catts and paphs seem to need that.

You're right about orchids and photographers - we have several top-notch ones here on OT - Yew (catttan) and Geoff Hands (Dorsetman) come to mind right away.

A whole studio! What kind of equipment do you have?

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    Cool! Can't wait to see! I guess I am more curious about how the digital prints turn out when printed on different textures of paper, the overall impression.
    Me too!

Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Halloamey View Post
    Very excited for you Maura ! Looking forward to the photos from your new cam.
    Thank you, Amey! I think it will be fun having new equipment, but of course, they say that it isn't the camera that determines a great photo - it's the photographer, so we'll see if there's any noticeable improvement in my shots.