Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchid royalty

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

orchids have always held a mystery about them. from the early days of their discoveries, to their shipping back to europe and years of attempts to replicate the tropical atmosphere to trick them into producing flowers... to the modern hybrids that hold no resemblance to their wild ancestors... there is really nothing as exotic as an orchid. but the very height of elegance, vanda coerulea, and her many offspring, most notably v rothschildiana, carry a certain glamour. those tesselated violet blue flowers. an unmatched grace. even a rose is just a rose next to a blue vanda.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

kelly, i sort of like nicki minaj. i'm not sure how katy perry is actually famous. back in the 80's we called acts like her a 'one hit wonder' and they went away after we got bored of the song. if she's going to stay around she needs to get that doofy look off of her face. kerli is the bomb. i hope you enjoy. when you're ready, look up 'die antwoord' on youtube. there is nothing else like them.

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

Lady Gaga is ok, to me her weirdness does not match her songs, but she can sing. Madonna, eh, never cared for her, and borrowed her early look from my favorite, the Queen of Weird, Lene Lovich no one can hit those high notes like her and she was copied by everyone at the time. Always thought" Material Girl" was a ripoff of "New Toy'. also where I got my username. Also like Marina and the Diamonds, until she copied Katy Perry for her second release(yuch). just my opinion.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Orchid royality ..., easy: The classic Cattleya and then the multiflorial Paph. Music royality ...., not so easy, but yeah, Madonna and Gaga are in the pop royal family. hahaha... Nice discussion topic, Kelly.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Leaf Mite
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    anything fragrant, miniatures
    Member's Country Flag

I find most orchids to be special, in their own way but, personally, I think angraecum sesquipidale and magdenae have got to be among the royalty. Whenever I see them, I am always amazed at their brilliance. They even seem to grow in a dignified manner. If one goes by sense of smell alone, brassavola 'Little Stars' is royalty. My daughter tells me it smells like a very expensive perfume. I also consider the neofinitia, just for the prices some command, royalty. I do love my vandas and cattleyas but I see so many at orchid shows, conservatories, and OS meetings that they don't stand out much any more, sadly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    I don't know why but I've always considered paphs to be the top in orchid hierarchy, then cymbidiums, then vandas and catts, phals and dens as pawns. I'm basing my answer from working in flower shops where all you used were phals and dens. I think a well grown multifloral paph is the most regal of all orchids and commands attention. My opinion, nice topic thanks, interested in what others have to say
    Well said, Stateless! I just got my hands on a Sanderianum, and I'm SOOOOO excited. To me, there's nothing more regal than those long, twisty petals! And the paphs that open with just one big flower are so stately, and the fact that they make you wait a year or so for that one bloom makes it a real treat when they finally do flower. I just love paphs! Perhaps the "waiting game" is part of what makes them seem so special to me.

I'm probably going to incite a riot by saying this, but I've always seen catts as being the "pawns." They remind me of the daffodils and day lilies I grow in my garden and see in everyone's landscaping in my neighborhood. They just look "common" to me. But what's an orchid collection without at least a couple of them, right? The few catts I own are fairly complex, with splash petals and peloric traits, to distinguish them from the general masses of floof that you see everywhere.

But I think my feelings stem from the fact that I tend to gravitate toward more "quirky" plants...the weird-looking ones that have character. The Catts always seem to be trying just a bit too hard to get noticed...all puffed up and floofy...if any orchids were snobs, it would be the catts. The dens and phals (especially species phals) just are who they are....a little weird, a little offbeat...and that's why I love them.

If Lady Gaga is a Vanda, then Catts are the Celine Dion of flowers: mass-produced, soothingly fluffy, and totally mainstream.

But hey...to each his own.

Now I'm going to hit "post" and mentally prepare myself for the onslaught of protests that will certainly ensue from my "hatin' on the catts!" LOL

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

Since this topic could lead to some difference in opinion, I present this possible outcome................... First there was The War of The Roses in Tudor England...........................Then the Great Orchid War of 2012 ! I can see the opening battle now. The Cattleyas all line up and trumpet martial music..............Then the opening volley's as the Paph's throw wood chips at the Dendrobium's. but not to be undone the Dendrobium's counter attack with lava rock....................Into the battle come the Bulbophyllum's firing off sponge rock to little effect. Lastly marching in flaying long roots everywhere are the Vanda's! Oh, what a horrific sight this is! In the end, I figure who ever controls the water and fertilizer supplies wins the war..............The End, AL

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

Hahahaha Al!!! You are amazing. Except we all know the vandas would simply beam down from the sky in a blaze of lightning and wind, laying their seeds inside the pseudobulbs of all other helpless, unsuspecting orchids until tiny Vandas burst forth, killing the host plant.

I just went all Aliens. Sh*t just got real.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

i've always thought cattleya/potinara types looked like daffodils too. i like daffodils and all, but i can only handle so much floofy. and so much pink/lavender. paph sanderianum is stunning in pictures. that is a very regal looking flower and is certainly lord of the paphs. i tend to not do well with paphs though, or that would already be in my window. whenever i buy paphs they just sit there and never grow. for like 4 years. ones i buy in bud never open all the way either... but their leaves are quite nice for orchids. i don't think they were getting enough light, but i was placing them on the recommendation of a person who was good with them. she had a ton under grow lights. maybe now that i have a bunch of oncidiums in the window i can set a paph behind them in the shade? hmmm....

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

Kelly; Thats what the world needs.............................plants with acid for blood. Coeruleo; I think your definitely on the right track.............I have seen where they can take and bloom better with a bit more light than is commonly believed. AL