Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: What have I done! (Smacks head on table)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What have I done! (Smacks head on table)

I have only recently had success with maintaining the health of orchids (ie: I've over-watered several of my pore victims in the past). I've got one store bought orchid which continues to produce new leaves (yeah). Here is my problem -- I purchased a baby orchid from someone at an orchid conference, or whatever, a few months ago. It was doing well I was watering it according to the instructions from the person I bought it from-- 2 times a week. I never over watered it, I let the plant drain before putting it back... This is what happened.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  164.3 KB

The dark spot is getting closer and closer to the end of the last leaf. I am afraid it is dead and there is nothing I can do. The main body has shriveled up like a raisin. I am assuming there is no way I can cut the top of the green leaf and keep it watered to promote root growth (like you can do with basil) and create a new plant. If this is possible, tell me how! If there is no hope, what did I do to it? I want to ensure I do not kill another orchid like that.

Real Name
    angela parris
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Dendrobium, Oncidium
    Member's Country Flag

So sorry, you are going to have to let RIP. It is over.
    BTW what species is it,? If there are some Psbs that are still healthy you might have a chance by treating them with some fungicied, repot and hope for the best.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by angela View Post
    So sorry, you are going to have to let RIP. It is over.
    BTW what species is it,? If there are some Psbs that are still healthy you might have a chance by treating them with some fungicied, repot and hope for the best.
    Good luck
    So it's a fungus? Do I need to worry about the larger orchid which sits near that one? They don't share water.

It was some sort of cross-breed...I was excited to see what the first bloom would look like (never bloomed before). -- label says enc naranjapatensis enc grand bahama.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Can you take it out of it's media for a pic maybe? It's definitely either a fungal or bacterial problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Trying to grow seedlings can be an exercise in frustration. Even experienced orchid growers will often have trouble growing seedling size orchids. That's why I always recommend buying blooming size or at least mature size orchids. Sorry for your loss.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Definitely too late for that orchid, sorry to say. As Jeff said, seedlings can be quite challenging. I would guess that despite following the directions given, overwatering may have been the problem. Because the grower's conditions are likely somewhat different than yours, it is quite possible that either a different watering schedule or medium or both may have been necessary.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

unless you live in a very dry area, only water in the early morning. some orchids, including encyclias are very sensitive to water getting stuck in tight spots that won't dry fast enough and foster bacteria or fungus and it causes this. be careful not to mist too heavily or splash water into the leaves or crowns of the plants. i have trouble getting some orchids mail order, because they are in a dark, damp box for 3 days and then end up rotting like this on me right after i get them.