Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Root Vanda. What would you do.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    angela parris
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Dendrobium, Oncidium
    Member's Country Flag

Default One Root Vanda. What would you do.

Of the 10 new Vandaceous Orchids which I received this week, 2 of them (top cuttings) arrived with only one root, and that root is damaged. I have soaked the plants in some Super Thrive.
    What else would you do to try to save these plants?

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Seaweed extract? I don't grow vandaceous types but it always helps my plants throw out new roots.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Kevin
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them...
    Member's Country Flag

My experience...high humidity, bright light & patience. I actually kept one like that alive for 3 months under poor conditions and it survived. It was in 30% humidity and mounted to a branch. I eventually moved it to a vanda basket with coarse bark and lava rock and misted twice a day. It eventually threw roots and just bloomed for me..

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with Kevin initially go for low light once you see some sign of the new roots than begin to give more light and humidity too usually work for my vanda species.

Real Name
    Maurice
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Pleurothallis and The Unusual
    Member's Country Flag

Don't give it too high temperatures. This T will force the leaves to evaporate, and water supply is the problem at this moment because of the lack on roots. Focus on roots, not on leave growth and flowers. And don't hang this root in water, because it is an air root!!

Hope it will help, good luck with them, and don't forget to show the result (new root growth!)

Maurice
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Angela, do not worry, you are an expert grower so you will get it right Here is a way that I have found to be very effective, I have rooted Phals, Vandas, Aerides, Cattleyas all using this way and it has not failed be yet. You have to remember 4 key points, humidity, air circulation and warmth. As the plant has no roots it depends on the reserve water in its tissue and all the water it can absorb from its foliage.
    Make a set up like in the photo below. Attach the Vanda with to a support and place it in a pot filled with inert media like LECA pellets or lava rock or charcoal ( no bark or organic media, I will tell why later). Ensure that if there are any roots, that they are just an inch or so into the media, not any deeper. Keep this a well ventilated sheltered spot that gets bright indirect sunlight (less bright but no direct sun). Water the pot until it starts dripping out from the bottom of the pot, do this weekly. And now the second crucial step spraying. Simply spray the whole plant every morning (and afternoon on very warm or hot dry days) till it is dripping wet and all the foliage and roots are completely wet. If it is sufficiently warm and there is good air circulation, the plant should dry within 2-3 hours. For Phals and Vandas, I usually cover the crown with a plastic bag, so as not to get water into it. Secondly the quality of water is very important. Try to use RO water or rain water (basically any water with very low solutes dissolved into it), no need for any fertilizer or other chemicals. Within 2 weeks you should see new roots emerging.

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  36.1 KB

Here is a thread where I recently posted the pictures of a few Catts I rooted in SH and an Aerides that I rooted with the technique mentioned above.
    http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...correctly.html

Real Name
    angela parris
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Amey, Thank you so much for this information. I have this morning potted up the 2 plants in the way you suggested (makes alot of sense, only I did not think of it. LOL). I have also had alook at the Link you sent. there is a great deal of info. there. Thank you again. I will keep you posted on the plants progress.
    Thanks to all the other members who responded.
    Angela.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Angela, I actually had a similar situation with a Vanda seedling, and putting it in a small vase with no media actually did the trick! I didn't even secure it at the top (it was small enough so it just balanced on top on its own, but you'd probably need to prop yours), and then I filled the vase with water and let the base of the plant and the one good root soak for a couple of hours each day. Then I dumped the water out. I kept it indoors so it didn't get overwhelmed by the sun and heat, but I left it near a window so it would at least get some light. It has now sprouted several new roots and is growing happily.

Amey's method sounds like it would work well for you. Unfortunately, anything that gets stuck into LECA pellets ends up growing fungus on it in my damp Pennsylvania weather. I'm not sure why the LECAs seem to attract the fungus so much, but the seedling that I am referring to above was actually originally in LECAs, and fungus killed all but one teensy aerial root that was hanging above the pellets. With the vase trick, it's since regenerated and grown several new roots.

The fact that we grow in significantly different climates makes a difference, though, I'm sure. I think you'd probably have great success with Amey's method. But if for some reason it doesn't work, give the vase thing a try!

Good luck!

Real Name
    Patty
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    What isn't?!
    Yuma, AZ: The little corner where Arizona, California and Mexico meet.
    Member's Country Flag

What would I do? I'd invite Cathy to come over and spread some of her vanda magic!

Real Name
    angela parris
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

You hit the nail right on the head. I agree that Cathy would get these two plants going in a jiffy, and have them bloom to boot.

@ Cathy, are you available?