Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Vanda grower question.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Member's Country Flag

Default Vanda grower question.

I was wondering at what winter temperature do you bring your Vanda orchids inside? I have one that has a spike (my first Vanda spike) so would like to save that if at all possible.

Thanks,
    Miller

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

I bring my vandas indoors whenever it gets below 50 degrees. I got that temperature from a book on vandas by Dr. Martin Motes. Not all vandas are the same though. Some are more sensitive to cold than others. I was told that blue/purple vandas can withstand cold weather better than yellow or red because of the species in their background. But the only vanda I have that has suffered significant cold damage was a blue vascostylis. It lost several leaves at a temperature where none of my other vandas suffered at all. I can't remember what the temperature was.

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    spatulata dens, catt all., van
    Member's Country Flag

I usually go by 50 also, but truly I think that 60 would be safest. I've lost several also (the quickest to die was a blue that looked alot like coerula, go figure) and all of mine have bare stalk at the bottom from winter stress. Ugly, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the replies Kelly and Jeff. I will be away for 11 days and would like to turn off my watering system just in case it gets colder while I am away. Do you think my Vandas will be harmed by not having water for that long? Looks like our highs as it stands now will be in the low to mid 80's during the day and low to mid 60's at night with a few days in the 50's. Even if I brought them in they are not going to be watered until I return.

Thanks
    Miller

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Thanks for the replies Kelly and Jeff. I will be away for 11 days and would like to turn off my watering system just in case it gets colder while I am away. Do you think my Vandas will be harmed by not having water for that long? Looks like our highs as it stands now will be in the low to mid 80's during the day and low to mid 60's at night with a few days in the 50's. Even if I brought them in they are not going to be watered until I return.

Thanks
    Miller
    If you're turning the watering system off just because of the possibility of cold weather, I would say leave it turned on. Here in South Florida nurseries always water their plants when cold weather is coming because the water actually keeps the plants warmer. That sounds counter-intuitive because you or I would not want to be wet when cold weather arrives but it actually helps protect plants from the cold. Also vandas can't store much water so they like to be watered regularly. Having said that, my vandas have been without water for over a week, when I was out of town, and they didn't seem to suffer any. You might be OK either way. Just do what makes you feel most comfortable.

Real Name
    Ted Mannell
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Odont's
    Member's Country Flag

I bring mine in when we are due for the first frost. A friend of mine waited till after the frost and suffered no damage.